VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Initial PTSD Diagnosis DBQ Question

Rate this question

glashutte

Question

Hi Everyone,

I have been diagnosed PTSD by my civilian provider and was never seen for this during active duty. My discharge date was July 1, 2017. 

The following link states that only VA Mental Health providers can complete a DBQ for initial PTSD diagnosis. Is this 100% true or is this no longer true but still on the VA website?

https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/dbq_faqs.asp

"Yes. However there are two separate DBQs for PTSD depending on whether the Veteran has already been told by VA that he or she is "service connected" for PTSD. If the Veteran has already been told by VA that he or she is "service connected" for PTSD, then a private mental health provider may complete a Review PTSD DBQ (VA Form 21-0960P3). However, if a Veteran has not already been told by VA that he or she is "service connected," then a DBQ for the initial diagnosis of PTSD (VA Form 21-0960P4) must be completed by a VA mental health provider. The Initial PTSD DBQ cannot be completed by a private mental health provider"

Edited by glashutte

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

You need a diagnosis of PTSD BY A VA DOC for service connected compensation by VA.  Im not saying its fair, Im saying what it is.  

With a discharge date of July 1, 2017, its in your best interest, on multiple levels, to get your application to VA by/before June 30, 2018.  It needs to be recieved by VA by that date, not mailed by that date.  

My suggestions:   

1.  Get into care at your local VA.  Find out if your VA doc confirms the PTSD diagnosis, by reading his exam report. 

2.  Apply for your benefits ASAP.  

And if you do not seem to fit into the 2010 PTSD reguations, now is the time to think about your stressor(s) as to 

how they can be proven-unless you are an Iraq/Afganistan combat veteran with CIB or CAR or PH on your DD 214.

Thank you for the advice. 

Instead of submitting my application so it can be received June 2018, I plan on submitting Intent to File as recommended by others. 

Would I want to be diagnosed with PTSD prior submitting my initial VA claim? Or should I claim PTSD and wait to be evaluated during the C&P exam and referral?

Is it true I have 5 years of VA health care after discharge honorably? 

"Or should I claim PTSD and wait to be evaluated during the C&P exam and referral?"

That is the way it is done.

https://www.va.gov/HEALTHBENEFITS/apply/veterans.asp   lots of info how to apply for VA health care.

forgot -this answers your question as to the 5 year  after discharge VA health care 

https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=1454

22 hours ago, Berta said:

"Or should I claim PTSD and wait to be evaluated during the C&P exam and referral?"

That is the way it is done.

https://www.va.gov/HEALTHBENEFITS/apply/veterans.asp   lots of info how to apply for VA health care.

Thanks for the information Berta. 

How do you feel about veterans going to non-VA mental health doctors who are able to provide an initial DBQ and IME for PTSD such as dr valete?