VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SMC T

Rate this topic

I am trying to find out more information about SMC T.  I have read the PDF by the order of the Purple Heart and found several other web pages that had information on it.

Fom what I understand I need a TBI and I  need Aid & Attendance. I also remember it saying something about not being eligible for any other SMC code.

I am also about to apply for SMC s. If I was granted SMC s, would this make me eligible for SMC t?

I am currently rated at 90%/100% TDIU

Among other disabilities I have;  70% PTSD/anxiety/major depression, and I also have a TBI rating of 70%.

Does this seem like enough of a rating to get me to the SMC T level if I'm approved for SMC s?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

As for as I can see you could get SMC S House Bound.

SMC t is pretty hard to reach , yes you do need a DX for TBI & rated 100% however if you have enough combined ratings depending on the severity of them if the disability warrants SMC S & A&A  then you can request SMC t but without a 100% rating on the TBI it will be difficult to reach the SMC t

I believe they rate the PTSD & TBI Separate  and your ratings for both are under 100%

so you may want to request an increase on your TBI if you think it's worse than 70%, check the rating criteria for the TBI.

here is some of the required criteria for SMC t

https://www.hillandponton.com/va-special-monthly-compensation-for-veterans-with-tbi-smc-t/

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Unfortunately No

to meet the criteria for SMC S and above you need to have a 100% rating and an additional rating seperate to be S.C. rated at 60% or greater to meet the SMC Criteria.  they rate the SMC (Letter) according to your symptoms and the severity of them.

Now usually if a Veteran is rated 100% or IU W/P&T at the time he is rated for another S.C. Condition and it is rated 60% or more , the rater is suppose to infer the SMC that meets the Criteria for the special monthly compensation....if they didn't and that's what it sounds like to me  then the VA has committed a CUE..

• HadIt.com Elder

They do have ''special circumstances'' that meet the SMC Criteria 40% sc rated veterans  that don't have a 100% rating depending on the severity of his/her disability..I never understood this rule but I have read about it  and it's very rare. but the regs to state it.

• HadIt.com Elder

NOTICE THEY NEVER MENTION SMC t

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.350