VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Understanding of VA Decision %’s on Claim

Rate this question

hammer

Question

VA Percentages decision on recent claim.   I am the spouse of the veteran and trying to understand how to add up the percentages. Could someone please assist me? 

Will there be back pay to Vietnam exposure  for 1967-68 and 1971-72?

SC Parkinson’s (Herbicide Expo)-granted 50%

SC Muscle Rigidity & Stiffness, left lower extremity (Herb Expo)-granted 30%

SC Muscke Rigidity & Stiffness, right lower extremity(Herb Expo) 30%

SC Balance Impairment/Bradykinesia (Herb Expo) 20%

SC Tremor w/Muscle Rigidity & Stiffness, upper extremity (Herb Expo) 20%

SC Urinary Problems (Herb Expo) 20 %

SC Speech Changes (Herb Expo) 10%

SC Cognitive Impairment/Dementia w/sleep disturbance. 30%

Thank you very much, 

for Hammer (Lee Ervin)

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Gee glad I read your post again:

SC Cognitive Impairment/Dementia w/sleep disturbance. 30%     !!!!!!!

It looks like they considered that as NSC but it is probably from the Parkinson's.!!!!!

Please mention that to NVLSP  with the regulation above.

Broncovet, 

I just saw your reply. I thank you for your wonderful info. I will try to fill you in on my husband of 57 years. 

My husband is 84. He had been working on his claim for years with very little results. I took up the mantel as he could no longer handle this, however my time is limited due to full time care for him. 

He has had PVC, since his first trip to Viet Nam in 1967. Attacks were frequent! Often over before arriving to the doctor. Phenobarbital was prescribed for years. Ugh! What they didn’t know back in the 60’s! No wonder he tired so but kept on trucking! This med was a temp fix. Later in 70’s VA prescribed varopromile and several others. Non of those ever worked! Took more and more meds. Attacks continued frequently in the 80’s and 90’s. 

After he retired in 1977 his attacks became more frequent in the 80’s and 90’s. He searched for work, which was a trying situation. Hearing was ruined! Wrist impairment from lifting in military!  There were years before he received any compensation for those! He now has 10% for PVC, 10% for Tendonitis/Ulnar nerve collapse and 20% for hearing. All were a lot of work and a long time coming! 

At age 67 he suffered a hemorrhagic bleed on the brain, in 2001. Craniotomy performed! Clot evacuated! Left right side impaired. Seizures followed as did a right hip replacement when he fell. Months of hospitalization and years of therapy (physical, occupational and speech)finally got him up walking with walker and talking again, then back on his computer but was never able to work again. He began to fade again around 2010. Gave up computer and seemed mind was gradually slipping away. Kept struggling! Another two or three hospitalization for PVST, AFIB, femur break, and several other things. He is now to the stage of not doing much for himself. I am his nurse. A full time job! 

After retirement, in the early working years, we knew nothing about unemployment benefits, when for a long time, he could not find a job or work due to disabilities he had upon leaving the military. He was so busy trying to find the job and keep up with his work and our educating our children. Never time for much else! When he did check with VA persons, he was received with a negative. Then the bleed came and our lives were shattered. Feel sure all the years of PVT caused the clot in brain. Surgeon could not identify how it occurred. 

I thank you so very much for your host of info. When the official letter arrives from VA, I have the Nehmer phone number out and I will be calling them. 

Hammer’s wife

3 hours ago, Berta said:

This was the Agent Orange email addy when NVLSP went over my AO claim and did that for many others,to make sure their EED was correct:

Staff Attorney*
National Veterans Legal Services Program
agentorange@nvlsp.org
Toll-Free: 1-855-333-0677

I dont know if they are still using that but by all means contact them with the # you have. 

They will need info and date on the denial letter. 

Berta,

Thank you again for this latest info.

Hammer’s wife

Buck,

Thank you for your info. My husband had not worked since 2001, when the stroke/clot in brain occurred! 

What us TDIU P & T?

what is SMC S 1?

Sorry to display my ignorance. Little time to stay on my social media and learn these things. My caregiving has become a full time job. 

I am grateful you all are out there. I keep my IPhone with me and try to keep up with mail. Sorry if I am late responding sometime. Just bear with me!

Hammer’s wife

On 4/26/2018 at 6:22 PM, hammer said:

VA Percentages decision on recent claim.   I am the spouse of the veteran and trying to understand how to add up the percentages. Could someone please assist me? 

Will there be back pay to Vietnam exposure  for 1967-68 and 1971-72?

SC Parkinson’s (Herbicide Expo)-granted 50%

SC Muscle Rigidity & Stiffness, left lower extremity (Herb Expo)-granted 30%

SC Muscke Rigidity & Stiffness, right lower extremity(Herb Expo) 30%

SC Balance Impairment/Bradykinesia (Herb Expo) 20%

SC Tremor w/Muscle Rigidity & Stiffness, upper extremity (Herb Expo) 20%

SC Urinary Problems (Herb Expo) 20 %

SC Speech Changes (Herb Expo) 10%

SC Cognitive Impairment/Dementia w/sleep disturbance. 30%

Thank you very much, 

for Hammer (Lee Ervin)

Since you all have been extremely helpful with your answers to my questions. Here is another one for you. 

Noticed on my husband’s “My Pay “ account,  where an entry from (statement of effective date) May 10, 2018 to (new pay due as of) May 14, 2018, there is a miscellaneous credit representing a CRDP called ....as a result of a special payment.

Would this have something to with his recent 100% decisionby rhe VA due to her herbicide exposure?

Thank you very much,

Hammer’s Wife