VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Champva, Tricare Prime and Medicare

EODCMC

Question

I am turning 65 this year. I have Tricare Prime (retired military) and Champva (100% P&T). How does all this play to my advantage when enrolling into Medicare? Thanks in advance for replies.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

I forgot to add that I have SSDI. I believe I'm automatically enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B after 24 months...this is a little under a year away.

6 hours ago, EODCMC said:

I am turning 65 this year. I have Tricare Prime (retired military) and Champva (100% P&T). How does all this play to my advantage when enrolling into Medicare? Thanks in advance for replies.

@EODCMC I am completely dumbfounded how you have both, Tricare and Champva.  It states this all over the VA sites/Champva sites.  Plus, I was told today by the VA and Champva personnel that I can't be enrolled in both. Furthermore, I am also 100% P&T and retired Army, yet both agencies told me I WAS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR CHAMPVA.  Simply astonishing.....

Sorry Grump, that should have read that now that I'm P&T, I was eligible for Champva. NowvI know you can't have both. And, neither of them can be used as "gap" insurance. Therefore, I think the $140 a month comes out of pocket for part B in every scenario. One can be used as secondary to Medicare. The question us, which one is most beneficial. I have been using Tricare and VA care selectively these past couple of years when I was 80%. This really is confusing.