Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Appt at VA for MDD / Anxiety

Rate this question

DevilDogCurt

Question

Hello All,

I have a question.  I presently seeing a PSYD twice a month for MDD/Anxiety.  She have written a letter on my behalf explaining why my SC disabilities (Right knee, Both shoulders, both wrist) is the reason for my MDD/Anxiety.  I ran out of meds from a previous psychiatrist but need to see another psychiatrist to get more meds.  My old psychiatrist is in NC.  She told me to go to the VA to get refills for my meds.  I will have to be seen by the VA psychiatrist and I don't the like going to the VA.  So, should I go to VA for refills or go to the Dr. office that I am going to now.  She said I can go to the Psychiatrist in her office.  I have not submit my claim yet, just wanted to make sure I have all my documents in line.  What is the best avenue to take?  Thanks!

Its been my experience that the VAMC fills only prescriptions written by VA docs.  I dont think VA pharmacy will fill a private doctors prescriptions.  

Now, if a private doc is prescribing Wellbutrin, and you go to a VA doc, then you could ask that va doc if he would do a prescription for Wellbutrin, as your private psychiatrist prescribes it, but you have to pay for those prescriptions, and you would like to get the meds through va instead. 

It probably boils down to money and how important is it for you to keep your private care doc.  If you have the money and its important to you, then by all means keep seeing your private doc.  You can still apply for benefits.  However, many private care docs do not know how to write a "nexus" statement that will fulfill VA requirements.  

VA wont even accept a private docs PTSD diagnosis, they have to have a VA doc diagnose ptsd, or they dont pay you benefits for PTSD.  Dont ask me why.  

Sorry for late response.  I had so many Drs. appt recently.  I choose to stay with my PSYD and Psychiatrist.  I have a letter.  I wish her letter and DBQ will dot all eyes and cross all T's.

• HadIt.com Elder

DevilDogCurt

your quote

''  I have not submit my claim yet, just wanted to make sure I have all my documents in line.  What is the best avenue to take?''  Thanks!''

If your unsure as to filing a claim and unsure about all your favorable evidence or evidence you think is favorable to your claim? Dr's reports and nexus to the claim ect,,,ect,,

'  it's much better to

Go check with a good experienced VSO  or experienced Veterans Attorney/and or a good certified claims agent...let them look over your claim with a fine tooth comb before you submit it.

usually if were not sure? then usually it will be denied (jmo)

as for as your refills I'd go to the VA and get them  none if us like going to theVA but for medical reasons and for financial reasons  thats why most of us have to go to the VA...

Now that is your choice   and if you can afford the private sector or have good insurance  then yeah maybe better to see the private Doc's..if your going to file a PTSD Claim broncovet is correct  you will need the VA To diagnose you for that...but if this is for other reasons such as depression/MDD /Anxiety a private Dr can do that dx

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

On 5/3/2018 at 12:51 PM, broncovet said:

Its been my experience that the VAMC fills only prescriptions written by VA docs.  I dont think VA pharmacy will fill a private doctors prescriptions.

Possibly not of use to OP, but in ref to the above quote from broncovet, I can say that I have recently (Feb) had VA fill a prescrip written & submitted by civ/non-VA doctor. It was my new pcp and the appt authorization was made through what remains of the Choice program. The doctor's office faxed the prescrip order, appt. summary, and Choice authorization documentation to the Regional VHA pharmacy, and in a few weeks the prescrip came in the mail.

Though more likely than not the above wouldn't hold true if not for the doctor's appt. being authorized by/through Choice.

I have taken an outside prescription to the VA for a fill. I submit it to my Primary Care - for her approval. If they have the medication, and she agrees - it can be filled - this process usually takes 3 days.