VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dreams about drowning

Rate this question

97marine

Question

I'm a Marine Corp Veteran and I've been having nightmares about drowning. I got recycled for swimming and they sent me back multiple weeks instead of one. I'm afraid to get in any pools or go near the beach. My sleep has been off and I don't know what to do? Any suggestions? 

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Once you get in care - Exposure therapy helped to decrease my night terrors. It is used to reshape the event. It is a part of talk therapy. 

Exposure treatment,  is a part of the CPT Therapeutic program the VA offers. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Just my 2 cents here.

The  therapy treatments help , it helps just to talk about things that bother you and the therapist can give you Ideals of how to cope, the medications help to an extent  but they will not cure you or keep the nightmares from coming back.

or stop the anxiety attacks.

My therapist mention to me that once a person is traumatized  your mind takes a picture of it and its put in the back of your brain /memory storage box ''per say'' and its always going to be with you. you just need to learn how to cope with this type behavior and were going to learn how to cope with this in therapy sessions.

Believe me I have had chronic PTSD & high anxiety attacks  for 0ver 45 years  from VietNam And still have high anxiety attacks and nightmares they still come  along with night sweats when least expected  it as tho this tramaua just  happen yesterday.

It's an awful feeling  but  I know what to do now when this crap happens  you learn it in therapy  from a good therapist.  sure its all still painful and frightening but you learn how to cope.

I go went to the VA for treatment for therapy sessions once a week for years  but the last year I been change to every 2 weeks..due to my long travel. (I moved)

Usually daily events you witness or something on TV that reminds you of the event that caused the trauma and or if your stressed out about something will spark the nightmares.

the medications are for basically knocking you out into a deep sleep (jmo)

Once traumatized  you will always have these Nightmares on occasuation 

Best to get in treatment and try to relax as much as you can at home or during the day...keep your stress at Bay and just take it one day at a time.  and get in treatment ASAP.

I wish you the best with this. and hang in there.

Edited by Buck52

Amen! well said @Buck52 Anxiety is one of my biggest issues and along with the Depression - using the tools helps me cope. Has not taken away the symptomatology.