Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rated Disabilities - List

Rate this question

Ray C

Question

Could someone take a look at the attached list of rated disabilities that resulted from my March 15, 2018 claim that was just completed this week and in accordance with the VA, I am now at 90% disability . I took a screen shot of this list from Ebenefits.   I haven't received the rating decision letter yet and I wanted to confirm that the VA correctly took into account the "Bilateral Factor" for the SCD's that involve the lower extremities and the 90% combined disability is spot on.

I thank you in advance.

Ray

Rated Disabilities - March 15, 2018 Claim.docx

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

You have (2) "Bilateral Factor"  calculations, Hips and shins, I came up with a CSC of 85.667 rounded to 90% CSC. An Increase or New SC that would result in the CSC  bump (9.333) from the 85.667 to 95, rounded to 100% CSC will be very difficult.      Start thinking IU.

2 hours ago, Gastone said:

You have (2) "Bilateral Factor"  calculations, Hips and shins, I came up with a CSC of 85.667 rounded to 90% CSC. An Increase or New SC that would result in the CSC  bump (9.333) from the 85.667 to 95, rounded to 100% CSC will be very difficult.      Start thinking IU.

Hello Gastone,

I appreciate your assistance but let me run something by you. My calculations come out to 88%. Not that it makes a difference in achieving the 90% combined disability but I just want to understand the VA math.  Following is my calculation.

I grouped all the SCD's that involved the lower extremities even though not all are not described as "Bilateral Conditions" in the disability list. Can I not count all lower extremity SCD's towards the Bilateral Factor ?   I see you mentioned that you used Hips and shins, which did you use for the shins, femoral or sciatic ?

20 + 20 + 20 + 20 + 20 + 10 = 70% + 7% (bilateral) = 77%

77% + Non Bilateral SCD's - 40 + 10 + 10 = 88%

Once I receive the rating decision letter and analyze it's contents, I intend to ask for a reconsideration/appeal for the Diabetes and the rest of the arthritic hip conditions.

Thanks again for your help.

Ray

Edited by Ray C

Each pair of "BL" SC's are combined using VA Math then the 10% Factor is applied. If you have 2+ "BL" SCs, each pair's separate CSC is calculated before computing the Vet's actual CSC.

Your Rating Letter will address exactly which SCs received the BL 10% Factor. Post a redacted copy when you have time.

i was just doing same type of math on mine because i thought they made mistake in bilat...

turns out that just like gastone said,,,, each is combined first then a 10% is add so ,,,

two 20's are not 40...there 36

in other words....

if your rated for two 10's that combines to 19 (not 20) and then the 10% bilat gives you 21% (not 22%) and so on and so forth...

it also seems as if you did what i did and group your bilats as 1 big disability instead of combining each then plugging into the va percentage math reduction process.

Edited by paulcolrain

On 5/27/2018 at 10:46 AM, Gastone said:

Each pair of "BL" SC's are combined using VA Math then the 10% Factor is applied. If you have 2+ "BL" SCs, each pair's separate CSC is calculated before computing the Vet's actual CSC.

Your Rating Letter will address exactly which SCs received the BL 10% Factor. Post a redacted copy when you have time.

Hello Gastone,

I first posted this inquiry about 2 weeks ago and I was out of town until today. I received the attached VA rating decision letter today when I went to the post office to grab my mail that I had on hold.  

Anyhoo, as a summary to my initial inquiry, I wanted to know why the VA didn't grant me Bi-lateral factor ratings for both the femoral and sciatic nerve SCD's when both the left and right lower extremities are affected ?

radiculopathy, femoral nerve, left lower extremity - 20%
radiculopathy, femoral nerve, right lower extremity - 20%

radiculopathy, sciatic nerve, left lower extremity - 20%
radiculopathy, sciatic nerve, right lower extremity - 20%  - I don't get paragraph 7 where the finding seems to repeat itself "Evaluation of radiculopathy, sciatic nerve, right lower extremity (previously rated as radiculopathy, sciatic nerve, right lower extremity)

I appreciate your assistance with this in advance.  If you rather discuss via PM, that will be fine.

Thanks,

Ray

VA Rating Decision - May 18, 2018.pdf

Will have to eyeball the decision. Keep in mind, you won't see the "Bi-Lateral" factor, it's used only for computing your CSC Rating.  Take all the SC% listed and forget about the "B-Factor, just run from highest to lowest using the Hadit Comp Calculator. Then run the same as B-Factor SC's, what the CSC before Rounding up or down?