Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can I claim SC for Tinnitus

Rate this question

silverdollar22

Question

I guess I’ve just gotten so used to the ringing in my ear that it didn’t occur to me to even think about a claim for it. I did some research from the first time I claimed hearing loss and ringing in my ears back in 98. Of course I was denied for hearing loss but my Decision letter says ( the veteran reports that occasional mild bilateral ringing Tinnitus has remained stable for many years). Well the ringing is constant now and I never thought of a claim for it until I read this in my letter. My question is, is this enough evidence to start a claim for Tinnitus or just forget about it? I am a combat veteran and did work around 5k and 10k generators In my MOS. 

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

if you filed the hearing loss claim back in 98 and was S.C. at 0% and denied compensation but failed to file a claim for tinnitus?   they will not automatically give you the tinnitus claim.

you should file a claim for tinnitus its only 10% for both ears. but i would certainly ask them to give you the EED back to the 1998 date  if it was mention in your denied loss of hearing claim?   

Unfortunately they usually go by the date you filed for the condition.

File for tinnitus  you need an Audiology report that you have the ringing in your head known as Tittuits.and is likey as not the cause of your noise induced hearing loss...remember you can have  NOISE INDUCED BILATERAL  hearing loss but if it don't meet the VA Criteria for hearing loss  its usually denied  or S.C. AT  0%

BUT STILL GET AWARDED THE TINNITUS. 10% Both ears....

I am thinking they give a 5% per ear but beings VA don't have a 5%   both ears need to be evaluated in this case tinnitus would be 10% if Awarded for both ears.

Buck, I was not service connected for hearing loss but in my decision letter and when I got out in 95 I told them about the ringing in my ears. Technically I think I only have the constant ringing in my right ear. Would that be enough to claim? 

• HadIt.com Elder

well thats ok tinnitus is not medically known for the cause  so I'd would claim both ears as you only seem to recognize that in ringing noise  one ear but VA Pays for both ears if you get S,C, For it

you can file a claim just for tinnitus   you need medical evidence such as a Qualified Dr to give his/her opinion that it is likely as not your tinnitus  occured during your military service around excess loud noise  without ear protection.

its called noise induced hearing loss/most tinnitus claims come from noise induced hearing loss  but you don't need to show a loss of hearing to the VA for tinnitus.

The VA Loss of hearing criteria is Set way to high  to get compensation, you need to be damn near deaf...they have a chart they go by after the test your hearing...but you still can be hearing impaired and not  ENOUGH in the VA Examinations  b/c of the high criteria for hearing loss.

Yes I’m deaf in one ear and can’t hear out of the other but I’m good to go sayith the VA! My last hearing test was 11/7/05 and I guess they didn’t check for the ringing as I read it. I guess I’ll have to ask for another hearing test to be done. But how in the heck do I claim ringing after all these years even if it was really there? I don’t know!!!image.thumb.jpg.7851fc4dfd0a30fd8c0095a3ae6f7f96.jpg

• HadIt.com Elder

§4.85   Evaluation of hearing impairment.

(a) An examination for hearing impairment for VA purposes must be conducted by a state-licensed audiologist and must include a controlled speech discrimination test (Maryland CNC) and a puretone audiometry test. Examinations will be conducted without the use of hearing aids.

(b) Table VI, “Numeric Designation of Hearing Impairment Based on Puretone Threshold Average and Speech Discrimination,” is used to determine a Roman numeral designation (I through XI) for hearing impairment based on a combination of the percent of speech discrimination (horizontal rows) and the puretone threshold average (vertical columns). The Roman numeral designation is located at the point where the percentage of speech discrimination and puretone threshold average intersect.

(c) Table VIa, “Numeric Designation of Hearing Impairment Based Only on Puretone Threshold Average,” is used to determine a Roman numeral designation (I through XI) for hearing impairment based only on the puretone threshold average. Table VIa will be used when the examiner certifies that use of the speech discrimination test is not appropriate because of language difficulties, inconsistent speech discrimination scores, etc., or when indicated under the provisions of §4.86.

(d) “Puretone threshold average,” as used in Tables VI and VIa, is the sum of the puretone thresholds at 1000, 2000, 3000 and 4000 Hertz, divided by four. This average is used in all cases (including those in §4.86) to determine the Roman numeral designation for hearing impairment from Table VI or VIa.

(e) Table VII, “Percentage Evaluations for Hearing Impairment,” is used to determine the percentage evaluation by combining the Roman numeral designations for hearing impairment of each ear. The horizontal rows represent the ear having the better hearing and the vertical columns the ear having the poorer hearing. The percentage evaluation is located at the point where the row and column intersect.

(f) If impaired hearing is service-connected in only one ear, in order to determine the percentage evaluation from Table VII, the non-service-connected ear will be assigned a Roman Numeral designation for hearing impairment of I, subject to the provisions of §3.383 of this chapter.

(g) When evaluating any claim for impaired hearing, refer to §3.350 of this chapter to determine whether the veteran may be entitled to special monthly compensation due either to deafness, or to deafness in combination with other specified disabilities.

(h) Numeric tables VI, VIA*, and VII.

• HadIt.com Elder

§4.85   Evaluation of hearing impairment.

(a) An examination for hearing impairment for VA purposes must be conducted by a state-licensed audiologist and must include a controlled speech discrimination test (Maryland CNC) and a puretone audiometry test. Examinations will be conducted without the use of hearing aids.

(b) Table VI, “Numeric Designation of Hearing Impairment Based on Puretone Threshold Average and Speech Discrimination,” is used to determine a Roman numeral designation (I through XI) for hearing impairment based on a combination of the percent of speech discrimination (horizontal rows) and the puretone threshold average (vertical columns). The Roman numeral designation is located at the point where the percentage of speech discrimination and puretone threshold average intersect.

(c) Table VIa, “Numeric Designation of Hearing Impairment Based Only on Puretone Threshold Average,” is used to determine a Roman numeral designation (I through XI) for hearing impairment based only on the puretone threshold average. Table VIa will be used when the examiner certifies that use of the speech discrimination test is not appropriate because of language difficulties, inconsistent speech discrimination scores, etc., or when indicated under the provisions of §4.86.

(d) “Puretone threshold average,” as used in Tables VI and VIa, is the sum of the puretone thresholds at 1000, 2000, 3000 and 4000 Hertz, divided by four. This average is used in all cases (including those in §4.86) to determine the Roman numeral designation for hearing impairment from Table VI or VIa.

(e) Table VII, “Percentage Evaluations for Hearing Impairment,” is used to determine the percentage evaluation by combining the Roman numeral designations for hearing impairment of each ear. The horizontal rows represent the ear having the better hearing and the vertical columns the ear having the poorer hearing. The percentage evaluation is located at the point where the row and column intersect.

(f) If impaired hearing is service-connected in only one ear, in order to determine the percentage evaluation from Table VII, the non-service-connected ear will be assigned a Roman Numeral designation for hearing impairment of I, subject to the provisions of §3.383 of this chapter.

(g) When evaluating any claim for impaired hearing, refer to §3.350 of this chapter to determine whether the veteran may be entitled to special monthly compensation due either to deafness, or to deafness in combination with other specified disabilities.

(h) Numeric tables VI, VIA*, and VII.