Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Caluza verification

Rate this question

KC3

Question

I have the 3 elements of the caluza triangle, however the verification of an in service event has to be through buddy letters which I am blessed to have 3 of. Will a DRO or Higher level reviewer take this into consideration or will I be seeing the BVA or above to prove the in service event?

4 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

The VA often appears to give lesser weight to buddy letters, but evidence is evidence.

I submitted several buddy letters in a claim a few years ago, but it was coupled with nexus letter from a doctor. When I received the VA decision letter, the buddy letters were listed in the evidence section.

My buddy letters were submitted on VA Form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim. I asked each buddy to be objective and state their observations.

I hope this helps.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

That's great Vync- because a good buddy statement can  make a big difference. And more than one helps too!

The 21-4138 us a good idea because they sign the oath at the bottom.

With the same unit and often same MOS, same time as the claimant,  details of the event they witnessed, and with contact info, 

(sometimes the VA will call the buddy) buddy statements can help considerably to prove an inservice event.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Thanks everyone it does help me very much. I think I'm dwelling on this a little much but at the same time this eases my mind a bit.