VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Turned down for SSDI but VA found me unemployable

Rate this question

Derrick911

Question

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

"SSI is available to individuals who have either never worked or who have not workedenough work quarters to qualify for Social Security disability insurance. However, eligibility is subject to income and asset limits."

I believe you can have a home and one car and a maximum of $2000.00 in the bank.  My mom gets my dads SSI, but because she is in a nursing home and on MediCaid (not MediCare), she is subject to the income and asset limits just like SSI..

This is why many old people bury money and or hide money at home. 

Just sayin,

Hamslice

Edited by Hamslice
spelling

• HadIt.com Elder

Thats right Ham

I remember my grandpa buried his cash in an old coffee can about 3 ft in the ground he been doing this for bout 20 years each month  he would just fold the Bills flat and push them down into the can and unusual thing happen , not sure how much he had saved up but it was probably in the thousands.

Anyway he went to stay at my moms house and not go to a nursing home,  he went out had one of his grandsons dig up that old coffee can before they left to my moms house , the money in the can had been burned..most of it , there were some Bills he took to the bank and they cashed them in but 75% of the Bills were burned up  just ashes..

We never found out why that happen?...may be some chemical reaction not getting air or something who knows? my grandpa never seem to be to upset about it.....if it was me I would have been devastated. 

I think the SSA Or Medicare or Medicaid should just leave all these old people alone and let them have what ever they want or what kind of model year car they have. 

its theirs and they should be able to keep what they want. they paid into the system for years and years &. they deserve respect.