Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim APPROVED (100%) in less than 2 months

Rate this question

MyGooseIsLoose

Question

Hi all,

Although I am new to the forum I have been a reader/follower for several months and feel that my situation can help others so would like to share.  As the title implies, my claim was just approved and it all took less than 2 months, heres the story.  Keep in mind I am only 29 years old, served 7 years and 3 deployments to Afghanistan as a 13B.

One year ago I was approved for %70 PTSD and a few other %10 issues totaling %80 disability.  Although I was very happy and grateful for the %80 I have been unable to work since 2015 due to my PTSD and inability to interact with others (specfically coworkers).  On July 3rd I filed an increase for PTSD and individual unemployability.  I was scheduled a C&P literally 2 weeks after I filed and went to it (obviously).  It was through QTC and literally lasted 15 minutes.  The dude who gave it seemed nice but did not ask me many questions at all.  I had no idea weather it would yield a positive or negative outcome as he did not give me any hints one way or the other.  After the C&P I pretty much told myself that my claim would be denied and I would ultimately end up having to appeal it (which we all know can take forever) so I did not get my hopes up AT ALL.  On top of that my previous employer from 2015 did not send in the form the VA sends to them (27-somthing I can't remember) so I was like man literally all I have going for me is my own statement (which was 100% the truth), my doctors notes, and that C&P which I did not feel good about at all.  For these reasons I pretty much gave up all hope.  I wished I had something from a doctor stating that I was unemployable due to my service connected PTSD (which I know from this forum is they KEY to getting approved for IU) and I had nothing of the sort.  Forward a month and a half....

Yesterday I checked EBENNIES (it has been less than 2 months) and the claim moved to Pending decision approval so I was like cool at least it is moving along and I can file my appeal and begin the LONG process.  Well one hour later I logged back in and the claim was closed.  I checked my VA letters and sure enough I was approved for %100 TDIU, not permanent and total however (im only 29).  I was very happy and did not expect it at all.  Considering the claim was less than 2 months old I feel very fortunate that it worked out in my favor and felt compelled to share this with you all as this forum was a HUGE help to me during my process.  Now, thank god and the VA, I will be able to support my daughter the way she deserves and focus on my own PTSD treatment.  I wanted to say thank you to all of you who use this forum it was a big help to me and I will do my best to give back and help others on their quest for benefits.  

Steel Rain.

• HadIt.com Elder

MyGooseIsLoose quoted

''I filed a FDC and was honestly just completely truthful.''

I totally Agree ,If you have all your records and evidence  favorable  to your claim and everything it takes to win and that includes being Honest....I agree with that.

However for some Veteran its Unfortunately for those that  the VA Looses their records or shreds them or can't find them  or simply don't read all of their evidence and they are denied.

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

I agree Buck Its unfortunate that claims get messed up for one reason or another from time to time.  That is why I feel so fortunate with mine.  Really, since I left the military, I have always had a good experience with the VA weather it be in regards to claims or just the hospital (counseling, treatment, regular check ups).  Ive heard the horror stories but for me, I've got noting to complain about (thank god).  Another thing that I have noticed from knowing many service connected, and non service connected vets- It is pretty obvious to me that most VA examiners/doctors know when a vet is being sincere and (for the most part) this yields a favorable rating in his or her claim.  Not to say there art exceptions but I strongly believe that most examiners (given how many vets they see, crazy numbers) can tell when someone is over exaggerating a claim.

Update:  Just received my backpay this morning.  Claim initiated 3 July 2018, closed 27 August 2018, backpay received 1 September 2018.  The claim was closed and backpay in the bank in less than 2 months total time, I feel very fortunate.

• HadIt.com Elder

That's Great MyGooseIsLoose  

Pretty Fast Win

It's Always Great News to hear a Veteran Get His/Her is well deserved Benefits.

Enjoy Buddy.

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

On 8/28/2018 at 7:19 AM, MyGooseIsLoose said:

Hi all,

Although I am new to the forum I have been a reader/follower for several months and feel that my situation can help others so would like to share.  As the title implies, my claim was just approved and it all took less than 2 months, heres the story.  Keep in mind I am only 29 years old, served 7 years and 3 deployments to Afghanistan as a 13B.

One year ago I was approved for %70 PTSD and a few other %10 issues totaling %80 disability.  Although I was very happy and grateful for the %80 I have been unable to work since 2015 due to my PTSD and inability to interact with others (specfically coworkers).  On July 3rd I filed an increase for PTSD and individual unemployability.  I was scheduled a C&P literally 2 weeks after I filed and went to it (obviously).  It was through QTC and literally lasted 15 minutes.  The dude who gave it seemed nice but did not ask me many questions at all.  I had no idea weather it would yield a positive or negative outcome as he did not give me any hints one way or the other.  After the C&P I pretty much told myself that my claim would be denied and I would ultimately end up having to appeal it (which we all know can take forever) so I did not get my hopes up AT ALL.  On top of that my previous employer from 2015 did not send in the form the VA sends to them (27-somthing I can't remember) so I was like man literally all I have going for me is my own statement (which was 100% the truth), my doctors notes, and that C&P which I did not feel good about at all.  For these reasons I pretty much gave up all hope.  I wished I had something from a doctor stating that I was unemployable due to my service connected PTSD (which I know from this forum is they KEY to getting approved for IU) and I had nothing of the sort.  Forward a month and a half....

Yesterday I checked EBENNIES (it has been less than 2 months) and the claim moved to Pending decision approval so I was like cool at least it is moving along and I can file my appeal and begin the LONG process.  Well one hour later I logged back in and the claim was closed.  I checked my VA letters and sure enough I was approved for %100 TDIU, not permanent and total however (im only 29).  I was very happy and did not expect it at all.  Considering the claim was less than 2 months old I feel very fortunate that it worked out in my favor and felt compelled to share this with you all as this forum was a HUGE help to me during my process.  Now, thank god and the VA, I will be able to support my daughter the way she deserves and focus on my own PTSD treatment.  I wanted to say thank you to all of you who use this forum it was a big help to me and I will do my best to give back and help others on their quest for benefits.  

Steel Rain.

Yes, congrats! I am 70% PTSD, 10% tinnitus, 10% hearing loss and 0% anejaculation for which I get SMC. My TDIU went through quick too, about 40 days, permanent and total. Just won a BVA appeal for spine injuries after a 5 year fight and based on the PTSD grant I was able to get my discharge upgraded from general under honorable to full honorable from the BNRC in Washington, DC. I am 61 yrs old, my service was Vietnam era Navy 73-75 USS Independence, I still have outstanding claims for issues secondary to Spine & PTSD. If I can get another rating at 60% I will get additional SMC. 

Keep fighting and never give up brother!!

On 8/28/2018 at 4:19 AM, MyGooseIsLoose said:

(it has been less than 2 months

@MyGooseIsLoose

Congrats on your win. I realize I am late to the party to say that.

I too went from 70% PTSD 10% Tinnitus to 100% PTSD P&T in a very short time between last C&P (for PTSD, I had another for a different issue later) and AB8 letter. In fact it was about 3 weeks, during which I frantically and frequently made posts here asking questions. My date is 1 Sept so I should get paid by 1 Oct.

QTC was the C&P examining company for me also. My doc however asked a ton of questions, told me what he was writing and assured me that even though he was not supposed to talk about what the raters would do my outcome should be very favorable, and he was right.

Another poster mentioned TDIU and problems getting VocRehab.

VR&E is like every other part of the VA in that often one hand does not know what the other is doing. Each RO has its own speed, and sometimes own rules and behavior patterns.

You should be eligible for the Forever GI Bill and if you did top ups or whatever your branch called them you should be fine going to school / getting the training you want. Meaning VocRehab benefits would not even apply to you at this stage unless you already used your GI Bill allocation.

TDIU does not block any VR&E benefit but your RO might misapply the rules and you would then have to file an appeal . Getting an education and or training that will allow you to work is a primary goal of the VA benefits system. There should actually be a slash between TD & IU, they are separate things/categories but we short hand it as TDIU. Yours is not rated permanent.

The one really harsh thing about TDIU is the income limitations which you say you know. You can literally only legally earn what the Fed Gov sets at poverty level for your family size, which is not much. The same rules apply if you get awarded SSDI or SSI, you can only make poverty level income or there can be legal/financial problems for you.

I suggest you turn yourself into an expert on the TD/IU rules and laws. For example the VA is required to make sure that if you do get work that you are stable and self-sufficient in that work before terminating your TD/IU status and pay. I would imagine the last thing you want is for the raters to decide that working a $7 an hour job part time makes you stable and self-sufficient enough to decrease your rating.

Keep going to your appointments if they are helping you. If possible, and you are interested, see about getting a service animal that doubles as emotional support. No landlord can refuse to rent to you because of a service animal and state laws also cover companion animals. Airlines even have to let them fly with you.

29 sucks to be disabled, I know I was 28 when I got out and back then the VAMC's and VARO's I tried to get help from denied me; most denied I was even in the service despite having my DD 214's in hand. I went through 12 before I stopped trying and just dealt with things the best I could. I have almost 3 decades on you and it has been only since 2013 that the VA actually acknowledged me, rated me and offered me help.

Good luck and I hope your one of the lucky ones whose PTSD is "curable" or at least not debilitating for your entire life.