VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pa or doctor

Rate this question

dapilgrim

Question

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

You need an "expert witness", and this means they are considered an expert in their field.  The VA uses PA's, doctors, NP's, Audiologists, etc.  It is less relevant the degree, rather than if they have training and experince and are considered an expert in the field.  

However, if you are using a PA as an IMO, the VA "COULD" call for a C and P exam from a doctor.  It would be difficult to have a PA's opinion to try to overide that of an MD.  

Go ahead, if your PA UNDERSTANDS how to write a nexus letter, AND, if he has a CV demonstrating expertise in the field.  

Your PA should be experienced dignosing and treating patients in the field you seek.  If he has "0" medical training in this field, and no experince, forget it.  

Good answer Broncovet. I would add that PA's have a solid basic education in medical field and if you do chose to use the PA, make sure that they include a full and comprehensive etiology based on current medical literature. If the IMO quotes current recommendations and studies and documents your condition by date and symptoms and goes into detailed reasoning how the nexus is accomplished, the VA will probably roll over without a second thought. 

Bonus here: have the PA do your C&P exam, find the DBQ form and take it to your appointment. If you provide everything for a claim, the IMO and the DBQ, the RO should consider it acceptable clinical evidence (ACE) and move the case quickly. (M21-1 III.iv.5.A.3.d. DBQs and ACE)
This would be best turned over to a VSO and submitted because then it would process in 30 days (without unforeseen issues popping up).

Edited by pwrslm

• HadIt.com Elder

My urology Doc is a PAC ( Physician  Assistant  Certified) they do carry some weight just as much as the MD do  IF THERE CERTIFIED.  as for as rendering an opinion.

but if the PA is not certified or has advance documented medical training in his/her field of expertise  then I would not ask a Regular PA for help.

Although most PA are under the MD as for as signing off on medical procedures.

some times more often than not these R.O. Raters crack down on the credentials of a medical professional and if they don't meet the criteria usually results in a denial. 

• HadIt.com Elder
6 hours ago, pwrslm said:

Good answer Broncovet. I would add that PA's have a solid basic education in medical field and if you do chose to use the PA, make sure that they include a full and comprehensive etiology based on current medical literature. If the IMO quotes current recommendations and studies and documents your condition by date and symptoms and goes into detailed reasoning how the nexus is accomplished, the VA will probably roll over without a second thought. 

Bonus here: have the PA do your C&P exam, find the DBQ form and take it to your appointment. If you provide everything for a claim, the IMO and the DBQ, the RO should consider it acceptable clinical evidence (ACE) and move the case quickly. (M21-1 III.iv.5.A.3.d. DBQs and ACE)
This would be best turned over to a VSO and submitted because then it would process in 30 days (without unforeseen issues popping up).

How do veterans get their PA to do a C&P Exam? 

I 've Always got letters from my RO telling me to report to this C&P Location time and date..I never thought about asking a PA to do my C&P

is this something new?

Now I realize we can ask them to fill out a DBQ but from my experience in asking the VA Dr's or PA's to help with my claim and fill out one of these DBQ...I never had any Luck with that.

as for as turning it over to your VSO Yes maybe so..but I always tell veterans if they use a VSO make copies and send in anything yourself...if the VSO Sends it in and the Veteran also sends it in  then the veteran as a double whammy of assurance it gets sent in.

Based of the fact that ''some'' VSO Are forgetful, to busy or just down right lazy.

Edited by Buck52

Buck,

You dont do this:

How do veterans get their PA to do a C&P Exam? 

The Veteran does not choose his examiner for a C and P exam....VA chooses the examiner, unfortunately.  

The PA would (could) do an "EXAM", not a c and p exam.  

Remember, the Veteran needs "evidence" to win the claim, and it does not matter if this evidence is from a C and p exam, or some other medical exam.  Both are evidence.  It just needs to be competent medical evidence, there is nothing magic about a c and p exam.  Competent medical evidence is competenment medical evidence, regardless if its from a c and p or not.

So, the PA does not do a c and p exam, per se, he would do an IMO/IME, and be sure to include what evidence is needed, such as a nexus or diagnosis etiology.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes I realize this,  just was in a post above about getting your PA to do your C&P Exam