Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disability Retro-Pay

Rate this question

21-Year Navy Vet

Question

Any and All.....

I have a question and can't seem to get a solid answer from the usual sources.....

I have a 90% rating and received my first monthly installment (finally) on October 1st.  expected, I was due some retro-pay.  (Retirement date: 30APR18; Claim filed prior to retirement date; effective date of my disability claim: 01MAY18).  The problem is that we received a retro payment of ONLY 3 months -- our calculations (going back to the effective date) is for FOUR months....?  Why are we not getting that 4th month?  Will we?  If so, when?  NOTE:  We did see that one month was listed as ' Being Withheld' as per our award letter....could this be the discrepancy?  Either way, we are thinking we are short a month.....Any help is appreciated!!

Jay

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit!

It is a bit unusual to see them state that one month is being withheld. Normally after you retire, the retro should go back to the first day of the month following when you got out. In your case, May 1st.

Per Vetquest's request, posting the text or a screenshot can help, just be sure to redact any personal information.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

As a 21 year retiree you might be eligible for either CRDP or CRSC.

Did the VA mention that in the award letter?

https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/payment.html

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

All...

Truly appreciate all the prompt insight and information!  I do know that all this is subject to an audit once the claim is approved / paid / etc.....  I always thought that the END RESULT of that audit determined the amount of my retro-pay?  So what I'm hearing from you all (broncovet) is that the results from the audit might still be on-going, although I have already received 3 of 4 months reto-pay?

If VA determines you are eligible for CRDP, they contact DFAS and this can take some time- CRSC is different and must be applied for-

I am glad you are fully aware of this program for retirees.It concerns me that they did not make this clear in the award letter---

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.