VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New here , just got my c&p result , what rating will I get in your experience?

Rate this question

Swag

Question

1. Diagnosis
------------
a. Does the Veteran now have or has he/she ever been diagnosed with a mental disorder(s)?
[X] Yes [ ] No
If the Veteran currently has one or more mental disorders that conform to
DSM-5 criteria provide all diagnoses:
Mental Disorder Diagnosis #1: Major Depressive Disorder, with anxious distress
Mental Disorder Diagnosis #2: Other Specified Trauma- and Stressor-Related Disorder
Mental Disorder Diagnosis #3:

3. Occupational and social impairment
-------------------------------------
a. Which of the following best summarizes the Veteran's level of occupational and social impairment with regards to all mental diagnoses? (Check only one)
[ ] No mental disorder diagnosis
[ ] A mental condition has been formally diagnosed, but symptoms are not
severe enough either to interfere with occupational and social functioning or to require continuous medication
[ ] Occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms
which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational
tasks only during periods of significant stress, or; symptoms controlled by medication
[ ] Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work
efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform
occupational tasks, although generally functioning satisfactorily,
with normal routine behavior, self-care and conversation
[ ] Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and Productivity
[X] Occupational and social impairment with deficiencies in most areas,
such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking and/or mood
[ ] Total occupational and social impairment

Veteran's diagnoses:
[X] Depressed mood [X] Anxiety
[ ] Suspiciousness
[ ] Panic attacks that occur weekly or less often
[ ] Panic attacks more than once a week
[ ] Near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function
independently, appropriately and effectively [X] Chronic sleep impairment
[ ] Mild memory loss, such as forgetting names, directions or recent events
[ ] Impairment of short- and long-term memory, for example, retention of only highly learned material, while forgetting to complete tasks
[ ] Memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name
[X] Flattened affect
[ ] Circumstantial, circumlocutory or stereotyped speech
[ ] Speech intermittently illogical, obscure, or irrelevant
[ ] Difficulty in understanding complex commands
[ ] Impaired judgment
[ ] Impaired abstract thinking
[ ] Gross impairment in thought processes or communication [X] Disturbances of motivation and mood
[X] Difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships
[X] Difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances, including work or a work like setting
[X] Inability to establish and maintain effective relationships [X] Suicidal ideation
[ ] Obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities
[ ] Impaired impulse control, such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence
[ ] Spatial disorientation
[ ] Persistent delusions or hallucinations
[ ] Grossly inappropriate behavior
[ ] Persistent danger of hurting self or others
[ ] Neglect of personal appearance and hygiene
[X] Intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living, including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene
[ ] Disorientation to time or place

It is at
least
as likely as not (50 percent or greater probability) that these symptoms
also
incurred during military service.

• HadIt.com Elder

Based on all the X's that were checked..I 'd say a 50% rating,,,but I could be wrong, it just don't seem like the examiner checked off enough symptoms for 70%

Buck52

Va guidelines state the compensation level is determined based on the highest level of symptoms checked. Rather than the number of symptoms at a given impairment level. Although I can understand why you think 50% maybe 70% because we all know the VA don't follow their own guidelines. I hope that we all get what we deserve.

Unique11128

On 11/6/2018 at 11:59 AM, Berta said:

I agree with the 70%- as potential - and if you are not employed the VA should send you a 21-8940 to apply for TDIU.

But then again my husband was finally rated properly for his PTSD ( 100% P & T ) (1997)and they took so long to rate him, that he had been dead for almost 3 years before they made that posthumous award.At least they gave him the correct EED , 1991.He was 30% SC PTSD in his lifetime.

Also he received SSDI solely for PTSD but as a victim of VA's ability to 

"Hornswaggle"his claim, the VA told my two state senators and my Congressman that the SSA refused to release his SSDI records to them.

I still have those letters. I called SSA in Baltimore only to learn that VA had never even requested those records. His signed  authorization form for VA to get them was in his C file when he died.He should have seen his 100% award in his lifetime.

Another problem was that the VA claimed they never had any medical records from his shrink.I went right over to the VAMC, and the shrink gave me copies of everything and wrote a letter to the VARO as well.The award letter soon followed.

BTW the SSDI award was based solely on his years of VA health care, from 1983 to 1994.

It is one thing to opine on  a rating that we feel should be proper-but we can never determine what VA will really do. 

Do you receive SSDI and is it solely for your disabilities this exam is for?

On 11/6/2018 at 11:59 AM, Berta said:

I don’t know what is stressor but I have been thru some terrifying stuff .

• HadIt.com Elder
    Rating
Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought processes or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name. 100
Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood, due to such symptoms as: suicidal ideation; obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities; speech intermittently illogical, obscure, or irrelevant; near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively; impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence); spatial disorientation; neglect of personal appearance and hygiene; difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including work or a worklike setting); inability to establish and maintain effective relationships. 70
Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect; circumstantial, circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks more than once a week; difficulty in understanding complex commands; impairment of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned material, forgetting to complete tasks); impaired judgment; impaired abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships. 50
Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms as: depressed mood, anxiety, suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss (such as forgetting names, directions, recent events). 30
Occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational tasks only during periods of significant stress, or symptoms controlled by continuous medication. 10
A mental condition has been formally diagnosed, but symptoms are not severe enough either to interfere with occupational and social functioning or to require continuous medication. 0

it can go both ways 50% or the 70%  lets all hope he gets a good rater.

I think this was Swag's reply to me:

"I don’t know what is stressor but I have been thru some terrifying stuff ."

By now I am sure the VA has asked you for any stressor information or anything inservice event (s) that would cause these disabilities:

"Mental Disorder Diagnosis #1: Major Depressive Disorder, with anxious distress
Mental Disorder Diagnosis #2: Other Specified Trauma- and Stressor-Related Disorder
Mental Disorder Diagnosis #3:"

VA will usually 99% of the time concede a stressor nexus if a vet has the CAB, CIB, or PH n their DD 214.

Otherwise the VA will run the incident (s) through JSRRC to confrim the event that led to the current MH disabilities.

Vets themselves often have to find proof of their stressors.That can be done with buddy statements and other ways, such as unit morning reports etc etc.

If you have given VA already some info on the "terrifying stuff" it is always best to prove the easiest one ,if you can determine which one that would be.

JSRRC (Joint Services Records Researh Center needs dates as close as you can come-to the actual dates, and places.

My article here on Stressors is a little dated but it covers a lot of what I have learned- I was a vet center volunteer and voted into their Combat PTSD  Rap Group  1983 and I am the widow of a 100% P & T SC PTSD vet.

Stressors  do NOT depend on combat- by any means- they can occur  and cause PTSD due to any non -combat situation, in the military, as well.

https://community.hadit.com/topic/51577-new-post-defining-a-stressor/

BUT you might fall into the 2010 PTSD regulations-

Were you OIF/OEF incountry? ( Iraq/Afghanistan)

I have trouble finding those regs here but will post them-

Edited by Berta
added more

This is basically the BVA's rendition of the 2010 PTSD regulations:

"With specific respect to PTSD, 38 C.F.R. § 3.304(f) states that “ service connection for [PTSD] requires medical evidence diagnosing the condition in accordance with § 4.125(a) of this chapter; a link, established by medical evidence, between current symptoms and an in- service stressor; and credible supporting evidence that the claimed in- service stressor occurred.”  As relevant to this claim, 38 C.F.R. § 3.304(f)(3) states that:
If a stressor claimed by a veteran is related to the veteran’s fear of hostile military or terrorist activity and a VA psychiatrist or psychologist, or a psychiatrist or psychologist with whom VA has contracted, confirms that the claimed stressor is adequate to support a diagnosis of [PTSD] and that the veteran’s symptoms are related to the claimed stressor, in the absence of clear and convincing evidence to the contrary, and provided the claimed stressor is consistent with the places, types, and circumstances of the veteran’s service, the veteran’s lay testimony alone may establish the occurrence of the claimed in-service stressor.  For purposes of this paragraph, “fear of hostile military or terrorist activity” means that a veteran experienced, witnessed, or was confronted with an event or circumstance that involved actual or threatened death or serious injury, or a threat to the physical integrity of the veteran or others, such as from an actual or potential improvised explosive device [IED]…small arms fire, including suspected sniper fire. " 

https://www.va.gov/vetapp18/files8/18130420.txt

There is a lot more to this claim but regarding the PTSD:

"Overall, the Board finds that, resolving any reasonable doubt in the Veteran’s favor, a psychiatric disability, to include PTSD, depression and anxiety, is related to the Veteran’s active service.  As such, the Board concludes that the criteria for entitlement to service connection for a psychiatric disability, to include PTSD, depression and anxiety, have been met and, in this regard, the Veteran’s claim is therefore granted.  38 U.S.C. §§ 1110, 5107; 38 C.F.R. §§ 3.102, 3.303, 3.304(f)."

Edited by Tbird
removed strike through formatting error