VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Psoriatic arthritis addition

Rate this question

SPO

Question

Everyone here helped me out immensely a couple years ago, so I'm back for another round.  The VA already granted me 60% for Psoriasis, but I have recently discussed the onset of Psoriatic arthritis with my dermatologist, which became noticeable after a lapse in my psoriasis medication.  I am currently on stelara for the psoriasis, which also helps control the arthritis.  I am trying to figure out how I should go about applying to add the arthritis to my compensation.  I'm not sure if it should me a secondary claim or primary.  Also I'd like to know what code it is evaluated under.  I've read that rheumatoid arthritis can be given a rating per major joint, is this the same for psoriatic arthritis?  I would also like to know if the claim will be denied because as long as I'm on medication for psoriasis the arthritis is managed and may not show on MRI or X-ray.  I am working on getting a DBQ done, but may have to go to a rhuemetologist, still in the works though.   I was planning on submitted a fully developed claim, and hopefully no C&E exam.

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Any help?  Also for additional info, it do have painful motion in all the joints affected, but I'm unsure how a va examiner may handle that.  I don't really want them looking at me like I'm lying just because I tell them it hurts.  On my initial c&p in 2009 the doc just pushed through when I said it hurt on my knee and noted full range of motion.

Gee, I am sorry no one answered this sooner- SPO- I need to research the conditions and then will post what I find out- Pain has been determined to be a valid disability but those regulations have not come out yet-

"After resolving all reasonable doubt in favor of the Veteran, the Board finds service connection for a psoriatic arthritis disability as secondary to her now service-connected cervical spine disability is warranted. Notably, the evidence demonstrates that the Veteran has a current psoriatic arthritis disability that was the result of her now service-connected psoriasis. Additionally, the July 2016 VA examiner specifically opined that the Veteran’s psoriatic arthritis was related to her psoriasis as psoriatic arthritis was a known complication of psoriasis. Therefore, the July 2016 positive nexus opinion of the July 2016 VA examiner provides the only competent medical opinion as to the relationship between the Veteran’s current psoriatic arthritis disability and her service-connected psoriasis disability."

https://www.va.gov/vetapp18/files7/18116211.txt

Thi is a long case to read and I haven't found rating info or DC's yet- But the BVA made a statement that could be researched and used for a claim like yours:

"Additionally, the July 2016 VA examiner specifically opined that the Veteran’s psoriatic arthritis was related to her psoriasis as psoriatic arthritis was a known complication of psoriasis."

I will google that and try to find more at the BVA.

https://www.index.va.gov/search/va/bva_search.jsp?QT=Psoriatitis&EW=Psoriatic+arthritis&AT=&ET=&RPP=10&DB=2018&DB=2017&DB=2016

This is the search feature I used - just for the past 3 years because I think those ratings changed-

I found this:

"Psoriasis Turning to psoriasis, VA examination reports in April 2011, November 2017 and February 2018, as well as the clinical evidence of record, show a diagnosis of psoriasis. Thus, a current disability is established. Additionally, as discussed by the VA examiners of record, psoriatic arthritis and psoriasis are related disabilities. Indeed, medical literature cited by the VA examiners supports that psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis are different manifestations of the same disease, noting that psoriasis is “a chronic inflammatory disease affecting the skin, nails, bones and joint throughout the body.” Private treatment notes indicate a history of psoriasis along with a history of various joint pains as early as June 1995. Thus, as the Board has found that the Veteran’s psoriatic arthritis disability first manifested or was otherwise incurred in service, it reasons, then, that the underlying/associated disability of psoriasis was also incurred during service. As such, service connection for psoriasis is also warranted."

It appears they could rate separately per that statement ,but maybe secondary instead...in some cases. .

https://www.va.gov/vetapp18/files7/18118754.txt

I am about to lose iternet connection due to ice in my Sat dish---- There are more cases at the BVA that might help

I would file this as a new claim but also raise the potential of secondary claim- 

the lines are due to the weather I think ?????

Thanks Berta   This is some good info going forward.  I don’t think service connection will be the hard part. The hard part will be getting the to give a percentage rating.  My dermatologist already gave me a dbq with the more likely than not statement and it mentioned painful motion and listed all the joints involved.  I just saw the rheumatologist today but he seems reluctant to do the dbq.  If he doesn’t can I just submit my medical records from him instead? Or should I just take my chances with the dermatologist dbq?

Edited by SPO

Yes-maybe that is all they will need.