Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Psoriatic arthritis addition

Rate this question

SPO

Question

Everyone here helped me out immensely a couple years ago, so I'm back for another round.  The VA already granted me 60% for Psoriasis, but I have recently discussed the onset of Psoriatic arthritis with my dermatologist, which became noticeable after a lapse in my psoriasis medication.  I am currently on stelara for the psoriasis, which also helps control the arthritis.  I am trying to figure out how I should go about applying to add the arthritis to my compensation.  I'm not sure if it should me a secondary claim or primary.  Also I'd like to know what code it is evaluated under.  I've read that rheumatoid arthritis can be given a rating per major joint, is this the same for psoriatic arthritis?  I would also like to know if the claim will be denied because as long as I'm on medication for psoriasis the arthritis is managed and may not show on MRI or X-ray.  I am working on getting a DBQ done, but may have to go to a rhuemetologist, still in the works though.   I was planning on submitted a fully developed claim, and hopefully no C&E exam.

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Forgot- you can submit any good website medical info,too, that shows the Psoratic arthritis is well known to be caused by psoriasis. And that you have no other medical  etiology for the P.A. but for the Psoriasis.

Here is a  copy of the dbq my dermatologist filled out for me.  Do you think this would be enough, I'm not sure if one statement is enough for them on the painful motion portion to actually get the 10% rating for the affected joints.  on page 5 it talks about lab results and x rays, which the dermatologist didn't do but I will be getting both done through the Rheumatologist this week.  Is just the medical records from him acceptable without a DBQ?  I don't know if the raters will attempt to interpret them or if the expect a dbq.  Also, because my condition is early stage bone deterioration (pencil in cup) that they look for in arthritis probably won't show in x rays.  This type of arthritis also tends to be more inflammatory than degenerative when its managed.  Should I try to find some proof of this to submit as well?

Derm DQB 2_Redacted.pdf

but I will be getting both done through the Rheumatologist this week.  Is just the medical records from him acceptable without a DBQ?"

Yes I would think that will help- even without his DBQ.

This is how they will rate the psoriatic arthritis:

7816   Psoriasis.

Evaluate under the General Rating Formula for the Skin

Note: Rate complications such as psoriatic arthritis and other clinical manifestations (e.g., oral mucosa, nails) separately under the appropriate diagnostic code

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=211cea5036c060a2b2fbcfcca96a07a4&mc=true&node=se38.1.4_1118&rgn=div8

So that means you could look up in this link ( Diagnostic codes and rating info is about half way down the scroll bar)- this is one of the important links we have here-

to identify what the arthritis affects and what the DC code and rating should be.

I hope the rheumatologist will take into account what specific koints etc it affects and it would not hurt to 

find something to support this:

This type of arthritis also tends to be more inflammatory than degenerative when its managed.  Should I try to find some proof of this to submit as well?

I feel they will defnitely SC the arthritis but have no idea what rating they might give to you.