LCK

Question

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 hours ago, LCK said:

How can I document noise level on frigate USS Edward McDonnell.  Need it for tinnitus claim.

Thanks,  larry.k

Tinnitus is a subjective condition (meaning only you can observe ringing in the ears and it can't be measured objectively; meaning another person can observe you having ringing in the ears, which is not physically possible.) Tinnitus affects many vets that were around high-level noise environments. In your case, an engine room is one of those environments, as well, as a flight line/deck. You may also want to claim Bilateral Hearing Loss, unless you already claimed it and were service-connected.

You don't need to submit evidence for a tinnitus claim. I didn't. If you do really want to submit anything I attached a research study that specifically mentions engine rooms in the Navy. Tinnitus is capped at a 10% rating. Be advised that if SC Tinnitus becomes worse it can lead to secondary Depression or Anxiety.

The C&P examiner will ask you: What was your MOS in-service? What did that consist of? Do you experience recurrent ringing in the ears? During your C&P exam answer questions honestly and to the point as much as possible. Don't overexaggerate your answers.

For the Bilateral Hearing Loss, you'll be administered an audiogram to measure the level of hearing loss you may have.

Best wishes Larry.

Tinnitus Research Study.pdf

3 hours ago, Penguin said:

That is an interesting question LCK, and made me think of my situation flying on P-3's. Sorry, I don't have an answer but interested to see what others recommend here. Also, if anyone has a recommendation on how to evidence the same question for P-3s (what's a good way to document ambient noise level on a P-3?) I would appreciate the help as well as I try to support my tinnitus claim.  Thanks and good luck!

Here you go. You don't really need to submit evidence for tinnitus, but this research study should be considered competent medical evidence by the VA ratings scheduler. Best wishes.

Tinnitus Research Study.pdf

That is an interesting question LCK, and made me think of my situation flying on P-3's. Sorry, I don't have an answer but interested to see what others recommend here. Also, if anyone has a recommendation on how to evidence the same question for P-3s (what's a good way to document ambient noise level on a P-3?) I would appreciate the help as well as I try to support my tinnitus claim.  Thanks and good luck!

Make sure the VA applies the Fast Letter # 10-35 to your claim,:

It is in this link with info on the probability factor as to one's MOS

http://3e3wit1jv3691nltvx1r85n3.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Duty-MOS-Hearing-Loss-Probability-Chart-VA-Fast-Letter-10-35.pdf

Berta took the words out of my fingers!  

IF your MOS is on the list of noisey occupations, then press that to the max.  However, if not, you can testify that you worked OUTSIDE of your MOS in a noisey boiler room setting.   Many people are asked to do jobs that are not necessarily part of your MOS.  

Remember, you are competent to give "lay testimony", such as the room you worked in being very noisey.  

Understand the difference between "competent" and credible.  

Competence means you are able to describe such working conditions.  Credible, means that your testimony does not conflict with established facts in your record, that is, you told the truth.  

If the board thinks you are lying, they can deem your testimony "not credible", but they have to give a reasons and bases.  In other words, if you lied about xx event, the Board can also conclude you lied about this also.  So, make sure your entire testimony is truthful, and consistent with the medical evidence.  Dont say anything where you could be "caught in a lie".  

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't think they will take the veterans word? although the Veteran must let the Audiologist know about the ringing /humm sounds in his head   known as tinnitus.

a Dr will need to opine this  that the noisey engine room he was in while in military is likely as not the cause for his tinnitus, although there are no known causes for why we get tinnitus , but the noise induced  this veteran was around could have damage the inner ears  or some thing close to this,  although the raters know about tinnitus  they will seem like they don't if we don't give them expert medical information and that needs to come from a qualified  Dr  in my opinion and from my experience.