Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Confused and need some help

Rate this question

RobWilliams1981

Question

Ok so on 11/7 I got a letter stating that a decision was made in the amount of $34,000 (before lawyer fees)

And they would be taking $6,600 (20%) for lawyer fees.

However now in a 12/24 letter they are saying they are saying $27,000 (before lawyer fees) and taking $6,600 (20% of $34,000) for lawyer fees.

So how does VA just change the retro, no info, states they are taking the 20% at the original amount. But only paying me the new amount.

What do I need to do as the short changed me over $8K

(did not put the exact about just enough to show point I'm trying to make as the math does not add up.)

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

And your right $27,000 plus the $6,600 would be right.

Only thing I'd first letter says $34,000 minus $6,600 leaving me $27,000.

But they did $27,000 minus $6,600 and only paying me $18,500.

If they had done it the other way I would be  asking for help.

That's the issue it was suppose to be 34,000 mins lawyer fee but they didn't do that. Even though I have it in Black and White in the letter.

I'm missing $8k and yes I know it normal takes longer to receive but my bank informed me today that it has a pending deposit for $18,500.

That what I started looking in at it should have been $27,000

Cause $27,000 plus lawyer fee equals the $34,000.

Suppose to get $34,000 minus the $6,600 for lawyer fees giving me roughly $27,000 per the 11/7 letter.

I'm getting a deposit of $18,500 tomorrow according to my bank and I called VA they said it cause my award was approved for $27,000 minus the $6,600 equals about $18,500.

My question is 20% of $27,000 is $5,100 but they are doing it off the $34,000 paying $6,600 to my lawyer.

But only paying me $18,500 so what happened to it being $34,000 that the original Al letter stated and if it changed to $27,000 why is my lawyer still being paid off the $34,000?

8k is missing. What do I need to do?

Sit tight, sir. I often have clients get split payments of two deposits. Sometimes the amount increases when they determine the most recent amount due. I had one where I won the client SMC L for loss of use of lower extremities at the BVA. When it came back to the regional office, I argued for R1 because he needed aid and attendance at the L level too. We won and they had to cut two separate checks. I had one in Atlanta like this too. They screwed up what was owing and made a second payment a week later. If you are not happy, you send in a polite request for an accounting of the settlement amount. 

One thing you can depend on with VA-they are bound to screw it up.