VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The Value of a Pain Journal

Rate this question

JKWilliamsSr

Question

My question is simple (I hope).   Would a pain journal carry significant weight in support of a claim?

As I have posted this before I am in the process of reopening a claim where the rater said things were not in my medical records and they were.  I am working on getting lay statements from my current wife and my ex wife (we have a son together and are on good friendly terms and is also a nurse)  this will cover more than 20 years of documented symptomology.

My pain is daily without any real break once the flare ups begin.  With the exception of my lower back.  My pain there is 24 ours a day upon any manipulation.   Pain medication does not touch my back at all and only limits the pain in my other areas.

I have daily foot, ankle, knee, hip and back pain.

I have heard of others keeping journals and I though about doing the same thing and upload it to support my claim.  I could just give it to the examiner but I honestly do not trust VA C&P examiners but here is my plan.   I want to complete a 30 day journal detailing the issues I have with pain and the severity if it as the day progresses.   Once completed I will upload it in support of my claim.   I will also do another 7 day journal that leads up to my C&P appointments making day 7 the day before my appointment.   This I will give to the examiner (if they will take it) but I will also upload it as well.

Thoughts please..TIA

Edited by JKWilliamsSr

4 answers to this question

Personally, I don't think a pain journal would prove anything. Its too easy to make a journal.... and I doubt it would carry any weight when it comes to a rating, it is simply not medical evidence, but another statement from you saying you have pain.

Yes, I understand that but they have been used for years by doctors.  You say you have pain.  When, where and how often is answered by the pain journal.  Better than trying to explain it from memory during a thirty minute exam.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I also kept a pain journal, but it was related to a migraine claim. Some disability ratings have a frequency factor tied to each rating % level. They may read like X occurrences per day/week. If you get service connected for the disability, the pain journal could very well justify a higher rating.