VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Form 21-4142 question

Rate this question

Berta

Question

https://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/vba-21-4142-are.pdf

I asked this question before but never got any answer-

Is this the form a vetern  would use for VA to obtain their private medical records?

The form was a little different 25 years ago when my husband signed it, to give VA permission to get his SSDI records.

An SSDI award contains an independent medical opinion that can be very significant to any vet claiming TDIU.

VA has , (only a few times I hope) ignored this form and the Evidence list would reveal the fact that they never obtained specific records.

They (VA) told me in writing that the SSA refused to release my dead husband's records. It was a lie.They also told this lie,( I still have the letters) to my Senator and Congressman.

His C file revealed his signed authorization form to get these records.

I was on the phone with SSA Baltimore for quite sometime, only to learn VA never had requested them. I raised a ruckus and they got them.

This happened long ago-but my husband could have seen his 100% P & T PTSD award in his lifetime. Due to their error in not getting the SSA records, he died at only 30 % SC PTSD. After VA denied my accrued benefit claim ( he had asked for higher PTSD rating and sent them a TDIU form) I saw right away that the SSDI award solely for PTSD was missing.

And I also noticed the decision did not have his most important psych records.I went right over to the VAMC and got copies of his MH records and showed the Dr his SSDI award letter.

With that info the VA awarded the accrued PTSD claim, sooner than later .I dont think they can award TDIU to a dead veteran, so they properly awarded 100% P & T due to SC PTSD.

We have a vet here who said VA told him they dont have his VA records.But he got them from the VA himself.

They did the same thing to me, after my huband died.He had been treated in 1983 and diagnosed with PTSD at Newark VA.I had seen those Newark  records at the SSA office 

and they were what prompted his initial SC rating for PTSD. I raised a ruckus and they 'found' them.

We must be proactive when anything on a decision letter  and their evidence list does not seem to be right.

If that is not the right form, please let me know.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

The only thing I know this form is used for is

The VAForm 21-4142 is known as an Authorization and Consent to Release Information to the Department of Veterans Affairs.