Proper percentage

Rate this question

dapilgrim

Question

What would be the proper percentage for the disabilities listed below

first degree AV block and atrial premature depolarization

10% Service Connected

tinnitus 10% Service Connected

bilateral pes planus also claimed as right foot condition with pain 30% Service Connected

17 minutes ago, shrekthetank1 said:

Tinnitus is correct.  as for the others it depends on the degree of severity of each.

i am sorry i meant to ask what the total percentage should be. With the bilateral effect

Edited by dapilgrim

• Adminstrator

If the VA adds it would be below at 50%

So How Much Is the Additional Rating for the Bilateral Factor?

Regardless of the body part in question, the bilateral factor is an additional 10% of the combined rating for the disability to each side.  To be clear, it is not a straight 10% additional rating.

To best illustrate, let’s look at an example.  Let’s say you have a left knee condition that VA rated at 30%, a right knee condition rated at 10%, and another 10% rating for tinnitus.  VA should consider the left and right knee conditions together for a combined rating.  A 30% left knee rating and a 10% right knee rating equal a 37% combined rating.  (If you don’t understand how 30% + 10% = 37%, you can read our previous article to learn how VA math is not like regular math since disabilities ratings are combined together).

Because both the right and left sides are affected, the veteran should receive an additional 10% of the 37%, which is an additional 3.7%.  What is the big deal about an extra 3.7%?

Why Does The Bilateral Factor Matter?

When added to the 37%, that gives a new combined rating of 41% (40.7% rounded up to 41%).  The 41% for the left and right knees is then combined with the 10% for tinnitus.  This gives an overall combined rating of 47%.  VA should round that 47% up to 50%.

32 minutes ago, dapilgrim said:

bilateral pes planus also claimed as right foot condition with pain 30%

You would add 10% to the number, in this case 3% and your total would be 33% for bi-lateral.

I am not an attorney or an a credited VA rep. These are my personal opinions and experiences, always remember what worked for me may not work for you.

You as the veteran are your own best advocate and no one knows your disabilities better than you. It is highly recommended that you as the veteran research and verify that any opinion given meets your specific situation.

Shrekthetank1 is correct, what ever the total is you would get an additional 10%. 

I am not an attorney or an a credited VA rep. These are my personal opinions and experiences, always remember what worked for me may not work for you.

You as the veteran are your own best advocate and no one knows your disabilities better than you. It is highly recommended that you as the veteran research and verify that any opinion given meets your specific situation.