Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C-File

Rate this question

RBrogen

Question

Out of curiosity I was wondering if anyone here had requested their C-File via FOIA request and if so how long did it take to get it.  I submitted my request March 7, 2019 and have had 2 estimated completion dates go by with no results.

Thanks in advance!

rackamall.jpg

2 minutes ago, GeekySquid said:

when you say "it closed" where were you looking?

When you file a FOIA claim, it showes up in E-Benefits just like any other claim and follows the same status path.  Once it's closed, as with a regular claim, a notification of decision ( in this case your c-file record) should be sent to you instead of just a decision letter like you get on a regular claim.

Just now, Patton said:

GeekySquid - It is under a claim at VA.gov.

Yes

rackamall.jpg

1 minute ago, Patton said:

is under a claim at VA.gov.

interesting..did you file it through VA.gov? I have submitted 4 directly to a VAMC an none appear and I requested a C-File by fax and that is not up there either.

2 minutes ago, RBrogen said:

When you file a FOIA claim, it showes up in E-Benefits just like any other claim and follows the same status path

as I responded to the OP, I have submitted 4 directly to a VAMC an none appear and I requested a C-File by fax and that is not up there either.

hmmm.

thanks for the info both of you.

Just now, GeekySquid said:

interesting..did you file it through VA.gov? I have submitted 4 directly to a VAMC an none appear and I requested a C-File by fax and that is not up there either.

I filed using fax and the FOIA documentation from veteranslawblog.com.  I followed up a couple of weeks later with a call to VA to have them check status and told them I didn't see it on E-Benefits.  Shortly after, it appeared.  Also, after the legal 20 days of time had passed for the VA to supposedly comply with the FOIA, they say to send a FOIA appeal, which I did  but after a couple of months given that I knew the VA would never comply with the 20 days.

rackamall.jpg

2 minutes ago, RBrogen said:

I filed using fax and the FOIA documentation from veteranslawblog.com.  I followed up a couple of weeks later with a call to VA to have them check status and told them I didn't see it on E-Benefits.  Shortly after, it appeared.  Also, after the legal 20 days of time had passed for the VA to supposedly comply with the FOIA, they say to send a FOIA appeal, which I did  but after a couple of months given that I knew the VA would never comply with the 20 days.

I filed the same way.

I filed in January, but it was not recorded until March. Here is what it looks like on VA.gov:

Find out why we sometimes combine claims.

Recently closed:

Your freedom of information act / privacy act request – Received March 4, 2019 has been closed as of July 18, 2019

1 minute ago, Patton said:

I filed the same way.

I filed in January, but it was not recorded until March. Here is what it looks like on VA.gov:

Find out why we sometimes combine claims.

Recently closed:

Your freedom of information act / privacy act request – Received March 4, 2019 has been closed as of July 18, 2019

This is what my status looks like on va.gov 

Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 7.18.37 PM.jpg

rackamall.jpg