Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Initial psych evaluation and drug use

Rate this topic

Hello everyone! 

(Mods, if there is a more appropriate sub forum for this, feel free to move it)

Ive always received a great deal of help from this community, so I thought I’d ask about this current conundrum. I just had my initial meeting with a psych doc about getting back in daily meds for mental health treatment. The session went well, but there’s something that is worrying me a little. 

Shortly before returning to therapy, I had experimented with marijuana and CBD oils as a sleep aid. The doc asked me if I was using any drugs and I told him no(which I’m currently not). He asked if I would pass a tox screen and I said yes, and before I left the facility, I got one. While the marijuana may or may not show up, should I call him and inform of the past usage? I just don’t want him to think I’m trying to be deceitful in any way. Once I started therapy, which was about 3 weeks ago, I discontinued all use of self medication for now to see what the VA treatment brings. 

So I guess my question is should I wait until my next appointment to confront him about it or should I call him and fill him in just in case the tests come back pos for marijuana? I read all about the VA policy on it and know that it won’t affect my benefits, but I’m still wondering if it’s my ethical duty to inform him. Pretty sure the reason they want to know about drug history is to make sure that you’re not indulging in anything that will affect the prescriptions they put you on, but I’m not 100% clear. There’s also the fear of it going in my record, which may or may not affect me and my future care/benefits in a negative way.

Thoughts? 

Edited by MarineLCpl

• HadIt.com Elder

Only one thought: reverse the issue. You expect the doc to be honest and upfront  with you. If you didn't think he was, do you think that would have an impact on your relationship? So at your first meeting, you lied to him. If he finds out, how do you think he will feel?  I would leave a message that you would like to talk to him prior to the next session and come clean.

1 hour ago, GBArmy said:

Only one thought: reverse the issue. You expect the doc to be honest and upfront  with you. If you didn't think he was, do you think that would have an impact on your relationship? So at your first meeting, you lied to him. If he finds out, how do you think he will feel?  I would leave a message that you would like to talk to him prior to the next session and come clean.

Well said. It was a total goof on my part and I think he’ll appreciate the sentiment. But I do agree, I don’t want there to be any misconceptions, he seemed like a good doc. Hopefully he hears me out and accepts my attempt to remedy the situation. Thanks for chiming in and putting things into perspective. 

On 8/26/2019 at 7:54 PM, GBArmy said:

I received a call back from the doc the following day and had a nice conversation. He was very understanding and commended me for being honest and setting the record straight. Told me he appreciated the heads up and it wasn’t a problem. Also mentioned that the VA will never discipline a vet for pot use, nor will it negatively impact their benefits..that they simply want to know about any substance use to make sure it doesn’t affect the treatment plan they decide on. 

Thanks again for the guidance, it was definitely the right call.