Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim Requests

Rate this question

Usaf9498

Question

I was at Khobar Towers in 1996 when it was bombed. I opened my claim August 8th. I checked today and the status is in evidence gathering. I claimed :

• PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) (related to: PTSD - Combat) (New)
  • Hearing Loss (related to: PTSD - Combat) (New)
  • tinnitus (related to: PTSD - Combat) (New)
  • sleep apnea (related to: PTSD - Combat) (New)

There is an open request for medical records backing up any claims. 

I am cpt therapy now for my PTSD. Do I need to upload all of that or will they already have access to that since it is being done at the VA?

I had a hearing test done at the VA a month ago and I have severe hearing loss in my right ear as well as bilateral tinnitus. They ordered a hearing aid for my right ear.  I didn't connect the dots at the time that she asked why I might have loss in only one ear. I realize now that it is likely from the concussion from the bomb detonation. My tinnitus started then, but I never saw a doctor for it. 

As far as sleap apnea goes, I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea about 7 years ago and have used a CPAP every since. The doctors office that I was diagnosed at is no longer in business and I was a self pay patient and have always bought my own equipment. 

I had a second sleep study done 2 years ago for a new device and lo and behold, that doctor office is also out of business.  I don't know what I can send in for records of that besides a statement from my wife stating she slept with me and noticed my breathing stop and choking. 

As of now the only C&P that they have scheduled for me is a hearing C and P.  Seems odd that they have not ordered a sleep study nor a PTSD C&P. 

I did notice that there was something called a JSSR Coordinator Review that says now is no longer needed. 

Any advice on what to upload for the requests?

request 1.PNG

request 2.PNG

7 hours ago, Usaf9498 said:

I kinda like mine too so I don't think I will take that bet!

good choice

I sent a message to my PCP

good. it should not take but a couple days to get this going. The holiday slows it a bit.

I will reach out at that point and see what is happening.

you are demonstrating patience....are you sure you are crazy? hehehe

She told me in an email it took her 5 years to get a C&P for OSA and 3 years for PTSD. 

based on being a friend of your mom's I suspect that occurred a while back. It should not take anywhere near that these days.

Ha! He is a beer drinking buddy of mine. Honestly the only buddy I have anymore. He always razzes me about it. 

Not my business... seriously though and nothing against him. Improve the quality of your life as a whole and expand that circle a bit. You don't need to become a gadabout or social butterfly, but hey more than one is a good thing for both of you.

That is exactly what I plan to do.

good

On 8/29/2019 at 10:10 PM, GeekySquid said:
On 8/29/2019 at 11:58 AM, Usaf9498 said:

Should I do the VA 21-4138

if there is a prescribed form from the VA USE IT... ALWAYS USE IT. not using it has become a reason to immediately deny, which is part of the attempt to look like they are really cutting the backlog or blame it on vets not doing what they are supposed to do.

I got some potentially great news yesterday.  I was talking to my old AF buddy who was my roommate. I told him about my claim and we hat I was trying to connect. He told me he remembers hearing me gasping for air and choking in my sleep so we did a VA-4138 and he signed it and he emailed it back. Hopefully that will help service connect my SA.

He also put in there that he obviously knew I was in Khobar Towers when it was bombed since we were buddies and were both attached to the 20th CRS at Shaw AFB. 

I'm going to upload that to my claim today. 

So I'll have a statement from me, my wife, my mom, and a buddy I served with. I think I'll stop there so my c-file remains neat and clean. 

• HadIt.com Elder

I just wanted to (ADD) this  if you already know this or got information on it? then disregard my (ADD)

Be sure and recheck your buddys letter, make sure the dates, locations, times, all collaborate with your lay statement

they go over these Buddy Letters very carefully and check everything closely, It only takes one slip up  and that usually means a denial.

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

I Assume you have a Qualified Dr to give his professional  medical opinion favorable to all these claimed conditions ?

if so   I hope you included this before you filed  other wise just lay statements will not fly...or any mention  of medical advise because were simply not Dr's and what we say or think to write down giving opinion of medical  they will not use.

we can not give a medical opinions to our self or say anything related to a medical problem. (I hope you realize that?)

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Also Home sleep study will be challenged .

A VA Sleep Study is fine  or an over night private sleep study out sourced from the VA is good   and of course a private over night sleep study from qualified Dr's or Certified Sleep Technicians  

They need to state in there impression that you need the C-PAP machine and that it is Medically Necessary you use the C-Pap machine nightly for your well Being.  or something close to this..

Please Note*

if Geeky has went over all that I mention above and you know what to do...then just dis- re guard my Advise.

Good Luck with all your claims.

Edited by Buck52