Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim Requests

Rate this question

Usaf9498

Question

I was at Khobar Towers in 1996 when it was bombed. I opened my claim August 8th. I checked today and the status is in evidence gathering. I claimed :

• PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) (related to: PTSD - Combat) (New)
  • Hearing Loss (related to: PTSD - Combat) (New)
  • tinnitus (related to: PTSD - Combat) (New)
  • sleep apnea (related to: PTSD - Combat) (New)

There is an open request for medical records backing up any claims. 

I am cpt therapy now for my PTSD. Do I need to upload all of that or will they already have access to that since it is being done at the VA?

I had a hearing test done at the VA a month ago and I have severe hearing loss in my right ear as well as bilateral tinnitus. They ordered a hearing aid for my right ear.  I didn't connect the dots at the time that she asked why I might have loss in only one ear. I realize now that it is likely from the concussion from the bomb detonation. My tinnitus started then, but I never saw a doctor for it. 

As far as sleap apnea goes, I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea about 7 years ago and have used a CPAP every since. The doctors office that I was diagnosed at is no longer in business and I was a self pay patient and have always bought my own equipment. 

I had a second sleep study done 2 years ago for a new device and lo and behold, that doctor office is also out of business.  I don't know what I can send in for records of that besides a statement from my wife stating she slept with me and noticed my breathing stop and choking. 

As of now the only C&P that they have scheduled for me is a hearing C and P.  Seems odd that they have not ordered a sleep study nor a PTSD C&P. 

I did notice that there was something called a JSSR Coordinator Review that says now is no longer needed. 

Any advice on what to upload for the requests?

request 1.PNG

request 2.PNG

2 hours ago, Buck52 said:

I Assume you have a Qualified Dr to give his professional  medical opinion favorable to all these claimed conditions ?

if so   I hope you included this before you filed  other wise just lay statements will not fly...or any mention  of medical advise because were simply not Dr's and what we say or think to write down giving opinion of medical  they will not use.

we can not give a medical opinions to our self or say anything related to a medical problem. (I hope you realize that?)

As of right now, I have the session notes from myhealthevet where the doc gave me a 1.5 hour question and answer exam. I had not filed a claim at the time yet so while I think it was essentially a C&P exam, it was not officially one. I also have the notes from myhealthevet from the therapist I am seeing at the VA about my weekly Monday sessions in my CPT therapy.

For the Sleep Apnea all I have is the 2012 home sleep study results. Unfortunately I am self employed and don't make enough money to pay the $2800 health insurance premium monthly so we have been without for about a year. I would have to come out of pocket for an overnight sleep study in a facility so that is why I am hopeful I can get it done by the VA. If not, I will figure out how to come up with the money on my own. From what I understand, at the study, you don't get diagnosed per say. They send those to a doctor who then (after being paid) makes a diagnosis. I might be wrong on this point however. 

For Tinnitus, I don't think there is any way to prove that but it is noted by my PCP in my VA records that I told her I had it. 

As for hearing loss, I requested an Audiology exam at the VA and took it. I was diagnosed with hearing loss in both ears, but worse in right ear. She also notes that I told her about tinnitus, with worse ringing in my right ear. I prescribed a hearing aid in my right ear and get fitted for it and take possession of it on September 11th. 

I am on a antidepressant SSRI who a civilian doctor prescribed me for panic attacks a couple of months before I was finally accepted into the VA for benefits because I served in the Gulf war timeframe and deployed to 3 operations. My VA PCP has now taken over that prescription and I am getting it filled through the VA. It helps take the edge off and has helped a lot with my panic attacks but it makes my tinnitus much worse. Laying awake in bed at night, which I do nightly at around 3am, it sounds like a hot summer night full of really, really loud cicadas in my head now. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes they do send the report to a qualified  DR after the sleep study  usually to the VA  but also private Doc as well

you should be able to get a sleep study from the VA?

if they can't do one in a timely matter  within 30 days   you can request the new VACC  (VA Community Care) from the passed Bill of the New Mission Act.under the PC3 program .for a private sleep study  VA will foot the Bill

Please contact TRI-WEST at 1-800 855-722-2838 to assist you.

Before you do , you need Ask your Dr (PCP) to give you a consult to the VACC if the Dr is not familiar with this?but should be...   then either go see your Hospital director or a Patient Advocate but the norm is a Dr can give you a consult because your VAMC Can't see you in a timely manner  (30 days) if its life threatening then use any emergency room.but for purposes here ask your PCP FOR THE CONSULT .

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!