VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Great ToeNail, bilateral remnants cauterization, scars, open wound, chronic

Rate this question

ToxicSgt73

Question

Question: 
I am not even sure yet what my question is? 

Situation: 

I had ingrown toenails on great toe bilateral chronic in service.  Aggravated by weight control program policy (I was on 3 years, 8 months, 29 days) of running in combat boots, and last ditch effort of adding speed (amphetamines USAF strength). I did a lot of running from basic till the end, a lot more than I had not been on that program.

After multiple inservice removals of nails (complete).  USAF hospital at Tyndall removed nails and cauterized the 'matrix' the 'roots, or bed' of the nails where the nail grows from.  The idea was my nails would not grow back? Bad idea....

An Airman First Class was assigned the task. 

Result: My nails grew back.  Except neither one the same, and neither as original stock equipment.

I have 3 nails remnants on one toe, I have one nail that grows 90 degrees to the horizontal flat plane of the top of my toe.  This causes repeated open wounds? breaks in skin? over scar tissue? They are a nightmare to trim, as they are deformed and multiples times as thick as originals.  Varying degrees of pain during the time span between trimming, and great pain, open wounds and blood every time trimming is necessary. I can no longer trim them myself as my tremor isn't part time much of the time.

This has limited my choice of footwear over the years, as hard shoes don't feel that great with a toenail growing straight up.  Probably affected my gait, posture, etc. (never thought about it that way) until now that i have arthritis in my knees, just had an xray of my right knee, no obvious trauma to knee, just arthritis from oral report (request in for written and image). I do know that my running days were over when I left the service.

I am starting to build my claim.  I am using VLB template along with my other research into everything.....and I still am stumped as to how to treat this one.  

I have read a lot of denials for ingrown toenails on the web, and only one instance period of anyone having this cauterization done.

I though I would use this injury as first question about go about the claim process as it seems to be multiple routes.

Would this be pyramiding if I also have peripheral nephropathy? 

I am going to have a lot of doctors visits ahead if I need doctors to diagnose everything that isn't documented (I know the answer to this one).

Where does this injury fit into the claims types?

• HadIt.com Elder

ToxicSgt73

21-526ez is the forms you need to file on ..the VA will figure them all out  just be sure to print clearly and have a Neat claim where they can read it pretty eazy and write out your lay statement nice and neat, check your spelling/grammar  ect,,,ect,,  the eazer our claims applications are  the raters love that...now it just depends on your evidence and most of that is your past medical records.

File on everything you think is or can be service connected? are you a Vietnam Boots on the ground Veteran?

if you get your medical records /c-file and have evidence on any of these possibly service connected  Definitely  file on everyone now...even if your denied  you cam always appeal with new evidence.

if you file now you will be placed in this New AMA  SYSTEM you need to use the Supplemental Review Lane  so you can add evidence during the claims process if you are denied on any of these conditions.

There's no limit on the claims we can file   if you have these medical conditions you think was caused from your military service FILE ON THEM  besides it starts your early effective Dates.

I want to thank everyone who has helped me so far. 

I want to state that I have a much different view of the VA, today...than I did a just a few days ago....it had been jaded from decades of watching nothing but negative news reports (even being skeptical of a few friends who said they were not having any problems over the years).  
Then I come online and read more horror stories, but, then I did read a few stories where it seems something went right, or maybe the VA made a mistake....for the good.

So.....I took the plunge.....
1) I requested my DD214, ten days later I have it....two weeks later I find my original. 

2) I requested my medical records.....still waiting on them, eta.....sept 24.....

3) I apply online for 10-10 EZ, medical care.  ( 1 ) day later.......24 hours later.....I am signed on to VA Health, and it shows, form submitted on one day, and enrolled the next day.   

4) The following day, I get a call from VA and set up a orientation, physical, primary care doctor appt for 12 days out.

I am working the research and building my plan, filling in the template from VLB and my own version. 
My priorities as I see them right now are to: 

1) prepare for that appointment, have my notes with all my conditions listed, and any answers to questions I might be asked in front of me (this is what I normally do, I have spent a lot of time hiring and firing doctors)  this time I will behave. 

2) prepare for filing the initial claim ( would be easier if I had my STR's? )

thanks again, without the push.....I would be still thinking about getting started.