Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Atty Not Providing copy of Form 9 question

Rate this question

McRay

Question

I've got a question. I requested some documents from the attorney handling my claim last week from the case manager. I wanted some stuff that they supposedly have in my C File that I've not been able to get and I want a copy of Form 9 that needs to be submitted after the statement of case I received for the NOD I filed. Case manager said it's company policy not to provide any documents until the end of representation. Which is new to me because the last case manager sent me a copy of the NOD when it was filed. This feels really uncomfortable to me, how do I know that they even file a Form 9 if I can't get a copy. And none of this is in the original agreement I signed with them. What do you guys think?

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

McRay. All I know is you have to be comfortable and be able to trust your attorney completely. They apparently want to be in control because their past experience with other customers (veterans) has lead to a lot more work for them as info was provided. So, assuming you did your due deligence when you researched the lawyers, you have a couple of options. You can tell them how uncomfortable you are and the reasons why and tell them that if they don't relinquish some info/control you would want a parting of the ways. Say that was not in the agreement. Now, if they have invested a lot of time and effort, they may just not want to do that. Now you have a delima. You played your hand and it didn't win. If you want, you can fire them and risk a suit for damages. In the meantime, it will be almost impossible to get another (good) lawyer, because they won't take up someone else's work. Professional bias, or something. That also is going to cost you money to sue. If you go really low impact and just explain you have a need to know and it is just your way of confirming they are doing their job but you are not challenging their methodology, it might work to some degree. You have to handle this situation with kid gloves, because you entered the contract. Not a lot of great options for except trying to persuade them to appease you somewhat. We all learn; sometimes there are few options during the learning process. IMO.

51 minutes ago, GBArmy said:
51 minutes ago, GBArmy said:

GBArmy you are correct. Thanks for the reply.

My new case manager is new to the job and that may be part of the problem, I don't know. As for having done my due diligence in hiring this firm, I just took the word of my VVA VSO (I'm learning the acronyms) who vouched for them -- not very diligent, I know. A month later, he wouldn't have anything to do with them but by then the contract had been signed.

Oh well, just another layer of frustration.