VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Even dozen

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

I just counted them up.  I have been to the Board of Veterans appeals 12 times since 2002.Ten of those have been adjuticated, whileTwo are still pending.  Several VSO's told me "not to poke the bear" and appeal or apply for an increase, but to "settle" for less than what I eventually got.  

I had "one" proposed reduction (for dependents), which I quickly refuted and won that one, too.  

The first one was a "complete grant of benefit sought".  The VA decided complete meant 0 percent.I counted that one as a grant, even tho it resulted in no money.

Incredibly, every single Board decision was either a remand, or a grant or a partial grant.  Not ONE denied every issue (tho some issues were denied).  

I have also been to the CAVC 4 times.  The ONLY one of those which was denied was my Writ of Mandamus.  All 3 of the other ones were remanded.  I was represented by an attorney at each trip to the BVA.

The VFW "dropped" me from representation in 2003..they said I did not have a valid, winnable claim.  Im glad I did not listen to them!!!

Multiple attorneys "turned me down" for representation.  I persisted, got a different attorney and won.  

One of the appeals pending is for an earlier effective date for TDIU.  This would back date from the current 2004, to 2002.   The other is for SMC S and I have a highly favorable doctors statment.  

Moral of the story:

Dont give up.  Dont listen to naysayers.  Dont listen to VSO's who tell you you cant win.  Keep fighting until you win.   Even if an attorney says no, keep talking to other attorney's until you get a yes.   If a VSO tells you not to file an increase, or for a new benefit, or not to appeal,  that the VA will reduce you instead, dont beleive him.  

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Bronc-terrific lesson for us all. Each of us are our own best advocate. NEVER GIVE UP!