Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Had PTSD C&P today

Rate this question

Usaf9498

Question

I was contacted a couple of weeks ago by LHI and scheduled my PTSD exam today and my Sleep Apnea exam tomorrow. I drove the hour to te appointment and arrived on time to an office attached to a home with a separate entrance. As I walked in , the doctor, a PHD, introduced herself and asked me how I was. I said well, nervous. She said yes I bet commented that I did not sleep well either most likely. And she was right, I was up a good portion of the night last night.

She started off by asking about my childhood, what it was like, if my parents fought, drank a lot, stayed married, etc. She then asked about my hobbies as a kid, my friendships, grades etc. We then went on to my jobs as an adult and ended up with what I am doing now. No real questions on what my work life is like. I am self employed but selling my business. She asked why I was selling and I told her because I cannot deal with people any longer in a retail capacity. My anxiety makes it painful.

She asked about my deployments and if I had anything to add about the bombing. I told her that due to therapy I had remembered a lot more and told her about the explosion, the glass, the blood, the next day etc. She specifically asked me to tell her about being told to guard the flightline with a maglite and I told her. She was good about not pulling the scabs but asked what she needed to I suppose.

We went on to my relationship with my wife and kids. How many kids I have, What my kids hobbies are, what sports they play, how their grades are etc. I filled out a few questionnaires and the she asked me if I has kids. I looked at her odd but then answered yes, I had two, and she asked me their ages. (I thought I was the forgetful crazy one).

We talked about how much I drank and I was honest, 8-10 beers per day. She asked if it caused me to miss work, I said no. She asked if I drank until I was intoxicated and I said not often. She asked if it caused me stomach issues and I said no. 

She asked me about suicide and I told her I did not entertain it. I said I often death would make the pain stop, but that I had not fancied doing it myself. 

She asked if I was depressed and I said I think so? I have depression, anxiety, I'm always on edge, I don't sleep, panic attacks, avoid people. But I said honestly, I don't know what all is wrong with me. I said I was diagnosed with PTSD by the VA and until they tell me otherwise, that's what I have. 

She asked me if I had anything else to add and I told her no, that I do not think so. I kind of broke down at that point and cried a little. I have no earthly idea why, I think the stress just got the better of me. She explained that she would write her report, suggested group therapy at the conclusion of CPT therapy, suggested I look into vocational rehab for a new career and wished me well. She said my therapist had asked taken very good detailed notes that would help her a lot. Very nice lady. I was there about an hour and a half. She did stop and explain why I was feeling some things which I thought was really nice of her. I think she genuinely cared. 

All in all, I think it went fairly well. I sure hope so anyway. I'm kind of surprised that she did not ask more about my symptoms but maybe she got what she needed from the docs notes.

Edited by Usaf9498

1 answer to this question

Sounds like you got a good one.  My last MH C&P was like that. She started out by saying my history was well documented and she was not going to make any suggestions to change my situation.  It was a good report that reaffirmed what previous doctors had said.