Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bilateral Hearing Exam

Rate this question

GrampsTed

Question

Hello,  I recently had an exam for bilateral hearing loss. What the exam consisted of was some sort of pressure test on each ear, then a pure-tone test, and lastly a test with all two-syllable spondee words, such as 'baseball', 'cowboy', 'airplane', 'birthday', etc, probably around 20 words. All of these tests were done with what felt like an in-the-ear device; none were performed with over-the-ear headphones. I estimate the entire battery of tests took around 20  -25 minutes, if that.

A friend of mine was tested for bilateral hearing loss a month before mine and at a different location. He stated that his test included a Maryland CNC word list that consisted of fifty one syllable words, and that his battery of tests took around 45 minutes.

I am 63 years old and he is 48, and we both served at different time frames, mine in the early 80's and his in the mid-90's. I am curious what other people experience when they go in for the same tests. Also, from what I have read about the proper procedure, I should have also done a one syllable word test. I'm not sure about the headphones vs. in-ear phones. I haven't found any specific information on that.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you think the word testing was wrong or they never ask you 50 word questions  or you think you were guessing at some words or just said what you think...I would request another test.

check with the RELEASE OF MEDICAL RECORDS at your VAMC or go to the VBA and request a copy of this particular exam/date given &  check the exam report.

WAIT AT LEAST 3 /3 WEEKS BEFORE REQUESTING THIS EXAM FROM THE  VBA

(Veterans Benefit Admin)

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

I can't really comment about your test and what you should expect.. I know from personal experience and research that the VA does every little trick they can to deny a compensable  rating. The hearing test we take from year to year while appearing to be the hearing test that is used for C/P examinations is not the same.   This is because the  VA requires the hearing test for compensation to be conducted in such a way that most veterans will never get compensated for hearing loss. Sure they will say you need hearing aids, but  they give hearing aids to anyone who has any service connected condition. Anyway I am going to list the attach the VA Handbook  that indicates what C/P examiners for hearing test must do.  Basically, the examiners are required to raise the db's during the word comprehension until you can repeat 94% of the words correctly. If you can repeat 94% of the words,  you  may get a 0% rating if your lucky......    Go to appendix C which list the requirements of the hearing test....... 

VHA HANDBOOK 1170.02(1) Hearing test.pdf

I am not a lawyer so take my opinions with a grain of salt...

If I had listened to the nay sayers, I would never have acheived any ratings after I was awarded TDIU in 1999. Now I have not one but two 100% ratings, a TDIU  and 4 SMC awards !  I say JUST GO For It

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” -Albert Einstein.

• HadIt.com Elder

Richard1954

I think the VA will give hearing aids to any veteran that has a hearing problem but is not service connected (for anything) or don't meet the rating criteria to be  given a rating.

I got my hearing aids from the VA and I was not service connected for anything, I did get VA to test my hearing way back in the 70s and my hearing showed to be a problem but it did not meet the rating criteria  but the Audologist said I would benefit from hearing aids   so they fitted me for the BTE Aides  I got both aids.

Since then and Appeals and finally got service connected in 1999 (50%) I am totally deaf in my right ear and have less than 40% hearing in my left  ear, now rated at 60% 30%  and 10% for tinnitus  actually a combined rating at 90%  and TDIU P&T......I Have other conditions  service connected and rated  that bootsed me up to the SMC -S & SMC -K  AND The have my rating at a 100% final degree rating.

Although my total combined rating is over 200%

Broncovet and I were discussing the SMC's

If a Veteran has 2= 100%  disabilities only one needs to be service connected at 100% the other don't need to be service connected but needs to be 100%   then this veteran would be eligible for the SMC S H.B

Normally a Veteran with a 100% S.C. Rating and has another seperate S.C. Rating at 60% or higher  then he is eligible for the SMC S  Also.

I never knew a Veteran can have a rating % without being service connected.  but its true  he  sure can.

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Now since my ratings and the time I got me VA Hearing Aides  things may have changed. ?

it maybe now a Veteran needs to be service connected  to recieve the free hearing aids from the VA?

...BUT if a VA Audiologist will give his/her opinion that if this veteran don't meet the criteria for service connection or a rating    if  the veteran can get the Audiologist to say although this veterans hearing loss does not meet the rating criteria for compensation purposes or Service connection  it would benefit this Veteran to have hearing Aids.

''Simply because the VA Hearing loss Criteria is set very high for a Veteran to be given a rating  so it is possible a Veteran can have bad hearing problems  that aids would definitely benefit this Veterans quality of Life.

Edited by Buck52

13 hours ago, Buck52 said:

I think the VA will give hearing aids to any veteran that has a hearing problem but is not service connected (for anything) or don't meet the rating criteria to be  given a rating.

Attached is a copy of the va directive concerning issue of hearing aids and glasses... its true some can qualify for hearing aids without a disability... but those that do fall into a special category like a Purple Heart recipient. 

VHA_Directive_1034(1)_Prescribing_and_Providing_Eyeglasses_Contact_Lenses_and_Hearing_Aids_Amended_July_2_2014.pdf

I am not a lawyer so take my opinions with a grain of salt...

If I had listened to the nay sayers, I would never have acheived any ratings after I was awarded TDIU in 1999. Now I have not one but two 100% ratings, a TDIU  and 4 SMC awards !  I say JUST GO For It

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” -Albert Einstein.

• HadIt.com Elder

b. All Veterans eligible for care and services under 38 CFR 17.38 are eligible for diagnostic and preventive audiology care, and diagnostic and preventive eye care services. These diagnostic and preventive services are separate from VA’s provision of eyeglasses, contact lenses, and hearing aids. Veterans shall not be denied access to audiology and eye care services covered under 38 CFR 17.38 because they do not meet the eligibility criteria for eyeglasses, contact lenses, and hearing aids.

Again its up to the Audiologist to help a veteran get hearing aids if he don't meet the hearing criteria for aids or compensation.

c. Audiologist. All Veterans shall receive a hearing evaluation by a state-licensed audiologist to determine the need for hearing aids. The audiologist is responsible for applying all of the following in prescribing hearing aids and documenting the clinical justification: