Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

About Dependency Indemnity Compensation

Rate this question

Yvonne B

Question

I did everything to prove my husband's death was service connected from PTSD. At his time of death he was receiving disability compensation his total rating was 70%. The letter I got in today from VA about my D I C claim and this is what was stated on the letter: Service connection for the cause of death was granted.They didn't approve any accrued benefits because my husband was getting his disability.Because I am on Survivor's Pension they say on the letter your current monthly benefit will continue unchanged.

I called VA this evening and I was told because my husband's rating wasn't 100% I could not get the amount for D I C which seems like BS.Yet my husband's death is service connected.He died from the PTSD which caused his heart condition it is all listed on the letter I got in today what all VA said.I read D I C rules and it says if it is service connected.

Is VA right that it has to be 100% disability my husband would have had to receiving?

I would appreciate any response,thank you.God Bless and Thank you to everyone who did serve or is serving!

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Yes- but I dont think the letter would have the veteran's SSA #

But it will have (I hope) the alphanumeric to the right of the page, and that info includes the initials of the idiot who determined

this:

"Because I am on Survivor's Pension they say on the letter your current monthly benefit will continue unchanged."

The Wartime Pension (I was approved for one in 1982 but they said, correctly that I made too much money to get it and this was shortly after my husband died and our  baby was still in diapers-he was my Army veteran husband) and  I had no idea how to prove SC death, and was completely overwhelmed by it all....now I realize that  what VA knows- and takes advantage of-we widows are devastated, and it is hard to even think straight with our grief.

This letter might contain a CUE that should be filed ASAP!!!!!!!!!!

The actual letter will determine that.