Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Does this Supplement Claim timeline make sense?

Rate this question

JKWilliamsSr

Question

I just got off the phone with the normal 800 number checking on the status of my supplemental claim and they told me that it is in the gathering evidence phase.   This is the second time I talked to them about this and it makes no sense.  I think I am about to call the white house line because I don't think something is right here. 

1.  Supplemental claim filed on Sept 22nd 

2. Supplemental Claim scanned in on October 22nd

3.  C&P exam was scheduled on October 23rd for November 5th. 

4. C&P exam completed and uploaded into the system. 

5. November 25th I called the 800 number and requested an updated.  They said they were waiting for the C&P exam results.   I told them that made no sense because Blue Button shows the results already uploaded.  They changed their story and said it was because of the backlog. 

6. I called today to get an update and was told it was in gathering evidence phase.  The problem I have with this is the submitted a FDC with plenty of evidence.   

The biggest issue I have with this is during my normal claim I had a decision 8 days after my C&P exam and here we are with a supplemental claim and it more than 40 days since the C&P exam.   This is not an appeal. I requested a reopen due to new evidence (that the VA claimed they did not have.)  

@JK, got ya now, sorry, I was on 3 computers at once.

Yours is complicated, and it sounds like you should probably visit your local VA's American Legion or DAV office.

They have the ability to cut through the red tape.

Also, C&P exam results are now available from the Blue Button? Including Community Care C&P exams?

Interesting.

Allan 2-2-0 HUAH! 

@JK, have you called your rep who handled your case?

Also, without making excuses, usually what happens this time of year is that many employees take Christmas vacations, use up sick leave, vacation time.., which often leaves a backlog with cases.

One of the HARDEST things to endure during your process, besides idiots involved, is wait wait...

Allan 2-2-0 HUAH!

5 minutes ago, allansc2005 said:

@JK, have you called your rep who handled your case?

Also, without making excuses, usually what happens this time of year is that many employees take Christmas vacations, use up sick leave, vacation time.., which often leaves a backlog with cases.

One of the HARDEST things to endure during your process, besides idiots involved, is wait wait...

Allan 2-2-0 HUAH!

Don't have a rep.  I have as much trust with VSO's as I do the VA.  This is from personal experience. 

Now I understand the holidays can play a part into some things but according to the person I talked today my C&P exam results have not yet been reviewed by anyone   That was over 40 days ago. 

@JK, try the records /Freedom Of Information office at either your VA or VA hospital.

These offices are usually in the basement of the hospital or Regional office.

IF your C&P exam was done by the VA, your records should be there at the hospital.

Allan 2-2-0 HUAH!

3 minutes ago, allansc2005 said:

@JK, try the records /Freedom Of Information office at either your VA or VA hospital.

These offices are usually in the basement of the hospital or Regional office.

IF your C&P exam was done by the VA, your records should be there at the hospital.

Allan 2-2-0 HUAH!

I think you may have misunderstood my question.  My concern isn't that my C&P exam results are not available. I can see them via blue button.  My issue is the stage my supplemental claim is in.   

A VSR reviewed my claim and requested a C&P exam.   That exam was on November 5th at 1pm and the results were uploaded to the system at 1:14 pm that very same day.   That was 41 days ago and no one has looked at the exam results.    

To put it in perspective I filed 2 claims this year.  One was September 16th which was an increase through ebenefits.   I had a C&P exam on October 7th with a contractor.  I received the decision 8 days later. 

The second was a supplemental claim based on disabilities there were previously denied and we are past the appeal period.  So for those claims my only option was to file a supplemental claim to reopen.  I had a C&P exam at a VA Medical Center and here we are 41 day later and no one at the VA has even viewed the C&P exam results even though they have been available. 

Does it make sense?  Yes.  Here is why:   

You posted:

I called today to get an update and was told it was in gathering evidence phase.

Whenever a Vet uses the phrase "I was told", I cringe.  Why?  Because you can not trust what you are told by VA.  VA employees often tell Veterans almost anything to get them off the phone.  YOU even indicated, later, that The VA told you that was a lie.  They didnt say it was a lie, but you posted:

They changed their story and said it was because of the backlog. 

In other words, what "you were told" was a lie.  

Once you understand you cant trust VA, and you cant trust ebenefits and VA.gov, then it makes sense.  We assume that we can trust everthing VA says to us, and that assumption is incorrect.  

My advice?  You cant "fix" VA lying to you on the phone.  Wait for the envelope, and if you dispute the decision appeal it.  Take whatever VA employees say, or whatever ebenefits or VA.gov says with a grain of salt, because its probably inaccurate, incomplete, or just an out and out lie.  WAIT FOR THE ENVELOPE>