VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Iraq War Vets?

Rate this question

FamblyRus

Question

Hidee-ho Fambly!

Missed you all! I have great news, he's baaaaaaack! Physically ok, now the wait... I know very little about what he did or saw, etc.

My question is this, what can I suggest to him now that he's back? Things to look out for, anything you all can pass along?

BTW, he will hopefully get here to hadit in the near future! :P So I don't have to ask dumb questions! lol!

Kim

Edited by FamblyRus

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

I know how thankful you and your family must be that your son is home!!!

Thank him for all of us!!!!

I bet you are all so PROUD and relieved!

These days they usually tell the servicepersons to take their SMR copies with them when they leave the Mil-

also they have some excellent transition briefings on the VA claims system- not that it even comes close to what it is about but still-helps a little-

he should certainly file a claim if he feels he has any SC disability- ASAP- at least within the first year afer his Discharge date- because this way-once awarded his retro goes back to the day after he left the Mil.

And it would be an honor if he eventually comes aboard here-

he probably needs time to decompress-hard to say what to look for- if you mean what I think- any drastic change in his demeanor or the way he handles something- different from what you would expect- might mean he is dealing with stress and anxiety-

I sure hope he still has contact with his units and his buddies and he should not hesitate to come aboard here if he needs to 'talk' to other war vets about how it was and how he feels.

Our military- the greatest in the World-----past, present, and future---!!!!

I am so happy for you all and so grateful for his service.

• HadIt.com Elder

One thing I know is that when you first go to the VA as a returning combat vet they will probably do a PTSD screen. They do one for me every time I visit my primary care doctor and tell me I have PTSD and this has been 35 years. If he does not try and hide any symptoms of PTSD and goes to the VA on a regular basis these symptoms should be picked up on quickly. If he has any weird physical or mental symptoms I would get busy and convince him to file something within a year of discharge. It gets much harder to file after that point. I would encourage your son to get a very comprehensive meical examination at the VA for every possible service connected problem that could emerge.

• HadIt.com Elder

Kim:

Say hello to MT and thank your son for his service. As much as I hate to say it maybe he should visit a VA get enrolled if he has seperated and if not make sure and get copies of all his Medical Records.

We can also use you back her helping new people. How else would anyone find out about 3rd Party Attorneys?

Hey Fambly!

You are ALL so special!! Thanks for ALL your ideas. Now if I can just get him to call me or email...(I know it's not a good sign)

Oh, let me first say he is still active duty. He loves his work. He reenlisted while he was in Iraq. (mom says...yeow!) Of course I never will tell him to "get out" not that he'd listen to me, lol! He was brought up to think for himself and he's a smart cookie. (mama's PROUD of him)

Last I knew he'd NOT had his Anthrax...but then that was 3 yrs ago. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Kim & MT

Guest jangrin

Kim and MT,

Please thank your son for serving his country from our family as we also have a son who we love very much. Please let your son know that we all are behind him and that if he ever needs a fambly, we are here to help him. Thank God he's home and safe and with parents who love him. Life does have its blessings.

God Bless You and Your Family,

Jangrin and Chuckles