VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Summery of Benefits Letter after an RFE Exam (Re-Eval) Is this my award letter?

Rate this question

swimdad84

Question

I just had my re-eval for a claim I had a few months ago, and now I got a summery of benefits letter in the mail from regional VA.  It shows my "effective date of the last change to my current award" which is "DEC 1 2019"  and its the same percentage ive always had.  I didn't get any fancy manila envelope this time like the initial C&P exam (This was a 5 year re-eval)  So is this the letter saying my percentage is staying the same or is this something everyone gets and I should wait for something else? Not sure what I should receive after an RFE exam.

26 minutes ago, Vync said:

@swimdad84 I apologize, but we're trying to infer what you mean based on limited information you provided.

There are a couple of ways a re-eval can work.

They can be routine follow ups handled by the VHA (i.e. VA medical). These typically have NO impact on your payments or percentages (unless you have consistent improvement).

They can also be follow ups regarding an existing claim (i.e. VBA claims). Because the VA brought me back in a couple of times for re-eval, that's what I thought you were talking about.

Anything that has to do with your compensation percentages (for individual ratings or combined ratings) is handled by the VBA and can impact what you get paid (increase, decrease, or stay the same).

We were just trying to assume what you meant.

In regards to your initial post:

Based on what you said, you had a re-eval exam. You got a summary of benefits letter in the mail. The percentage did not change because either it was the same as what you had before or was not a significant enough change to increase or decrease it. 

Effective dates different ways. They can work for a single disability, like you filed for your back on a certain date. They can work for a percentage associated with a single disability. They also work with your combined rating (how much you get paid). A rating decision (the manilla envelope) will indicate if they processed a claim and tell you what changed.

You can also go on ebenefits or va.gov and use the letter generator. It may indicate your rating % and payment with an effective date of whatever (which tends to be near when it was generated).

I had a five year re-eval and I received a rating decision letter in the mail telling me that they continued my existing rating with no change. Not sure why you had one and didn't get a letter.

As you see, there are a bunch of possibilities here. That's why I recommended you call 1-800-827-1000 or check online to find out more.

We're just trying to help. I hope this helps.

That addresses my answer a little bit better. I dont know if this summery of benefits letter is anything important or just an annual thing. I didnt get any "decision" paperwork. My ebenefits still says my old percentage and i cant find any traces of the RFE c and p on ebenefits anymore. Looks like it vanished.

• HadIt.com Elder

swimdad84

I would say  below this answers your question pretty much,, you answered your own question, although you have got some top advice from these other members Vync & paul and one of our top moderators.

''So is this the letter saying my percentage is staying the same or is this something everyone gets and I should wait for something else? Not sure what I should receive after an RFE exam.''

you do not need to do anything  they will contact you if they need any information,   if you had your RFE(Routine Future Exam) just set back and relax.

Most veterans under the 20 year protection usually gets one of these EOB Letters annually.

Tip *Just keep it in a safe place never throw anything away the VA Sends you*

I wish you the best with your claim , if you need any more advice with it or something else please post it with more clarity and little more information.

Edited by Buck52