Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Hospital to VARO surgery update?

Rate this question

waccamawwild

Question

I am having a total knee replacement of my service connected right knee which has been rated at 10% for more than 20 years. I am currently 100% permanent and total. I have no desire to put in for an increase but I am curious if anyone knows if the VA hospital contacts the VA regional office every time you have surgery for a service connected injury to let them know of the change in physical condition of disability.  I still have 13 years to go to have my 100% rating for the 20 year rule. Can everyone bounce back to me what exactly I should be thinking about or am I concerned about nothing? Thanks!

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Waccamawwild, I wouldn't be too concerned. I looked up diagnostic code 5055. The minimum rating for replacement is 30%, so if it is s-c, then you would get 100% while recooperating, then another C&P to see where your symptoms lead you. Like I said, if you need surgery to improve quality of life, don't worry about how it effects your disability rating. Do what you have to do; life 's too short. Good luck.

Edited by GBArmy
better response

I had a total knee replacement a year ago in OCTOBER.  At my VAMC, the surgeon had a great reputation, or I would not have done it.  

The knee replacement for me was a total success.   However, be aware that TKR is a very painful surgury.  You wont feel the pain for a few days..at least I didnt.  I had a continious drip of pain med (IV) for about a few days.  The pain came after the pain IV came out.  

Now, I only had to endure the pain for maybe a couple months, and my pain is zero today.  

As far as benefits go, you have nothing to worry about a reduction based on a TKR.  It could even result, at least temporarily, in SMC S.  (If you are 100 percent, and have another 60 percent, seperate and distinct, you get smc s.  VA often gives you 100 percent temporary for a TKR, so many Vets get SMC for a year or so who are already 100 percent.  

My advice?

1.  Go to the waiting room for your surgeon.  Ask other Vets if they had Dr. (your docs name) do the surgurey, and how it went.  If you get very poor feedback, consider canceling the surgury and reschedule with a different surgeon at a different VA.  Its a lot about the doc and his expertise.  My doc was very very competent and good and I got a great result.  

Count on physical therapy for a while after surgury.  I got "in home" PT after my surgery.  That is one reason my surgery went so well..  

2. Do not, repeat do not worry about a reduction in your rating.  The VA cant reduce you unless you have "actual improvement under ordinary conditions of life" once you are P and T.  

See this regulation for all the hoops va has to do to reduce a P and T Vet.  It rarely happens for P and T Vets, especially those over age 55.  https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.344

3.  Do what the surgeon says.  It helps to do leg exercises before the surgury. (I did).  "Strong" legs tend to do better than weak ones with surgury.  In my state, when on medicaid, you get a free health club membership with Humana medicare advantage.  I used mine.  Planet fitness, but others are probably just as good.   I went to PF because they are close, but went to LA fitness sometimes because they had a pool and I wanted to swim sometimes.  Swimming is great exercise for bad knees.  Great.  

4.  Have a caregiver available 24/7 for a month after the surgery.  (My wife is a retired nurse and she was great).  Dont think about being alone after surgery.  My doc wouldnt even do the surgury unless you had a caregiver available for a month or so.  I could not even drive,  (Pain meds plus awkward and painful knee), for a month or 6 weeks, I cant remember which.   You will need someone to wait on you hand and foot for at least a month after surgery.  My knee was packed with an ice machine 24/7 for at least a month.  

If you read the above link, it should give you comfort that vA cant reduce your rating.  

Edited by broncovet

Thank you GBArmy and Broncovet! You have taken a load of worry off of my mind! My wife will be with me to take care of me (God Bless Her) for the next couple of months and I know to really do those exercises. The doctor who is doing my surgery is supposed to be very good. I will be glad when this is behind me. I have tried to set up as much as possible to be taken care of for me temporarily.