Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question for any AO historians/AO advocates here

Rate this question

Berta

Question

I am doing research for BWN to support legislation for AO exposed Guam veterans.

In 2003 Rep Lane Evans ( as you know- a superb advocate for AO vets) received a letter from :

"P. W. Grone, Letter from the Principal Assistant Deputy Under Secretary of Defense (Installations and Environment) to Congressman Lane Evans, 23 September 2003, RE: No records on Guam; Summary of 28 locations on the use of Vietnam-era herbicides, per request. "

oaji.net/articles/2017/4108-1509420993.pdf   (part of the vast collection of Alvin Young's work)

Does anyone here have a copy of that letter?   This is a needle in a haystack, but believe me those needles CAN be found.

Edited by Berta
weather at high altitude

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta This might be old hat to you but just in case: I would contact the current Representative's office and explain. Ask what is the procedure to get out of achieves Rep. Grone's letter dtd. xxx,  etc. If he was on a "veterans" committee, it also might be part of that committee findings. There must be a way to get it because it is public record. The listing would be an attachment to he letter of course.

Grone was with the Undersecretary for Defense. Congressman Lane Evans, deceased, has numerous archived documents , and I have spent many days this past week, seeking what I need.Library of Congress archives etc etc etc 

But I might have found the 'needle' as I found Alvin Young's old email addy minutes ago,  and the email I sent has not been returned, so that is a good thing.

Then I  also heard from BWN not to go crazy looking for this doc- but my research brought me to many articles that I hope the Guam advocates have found as well.

There have been 4 vets so far who proved they were exposed to AO in Guam.

The DOD ( Grone) told Representative Lane Evans in 2003 , that there was no AO used or stored etc,etc at Guam.

Of course there was AO at Guam. But Grone's letter did seem to be what the VA used for their  pdf on AO storage, use, etc, in many areas outside of Vietnam, here:

https://www.publichealth.va.gov/docs/agentorange/dod_herbicides_outside_vietnam.pdf

Thanks GBArmy- AO was truly a weapon of Mass destruction. Many of us advocates won't let the VA or DOD forget that.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.