Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

better with individual or secondary ratings

Rate this question

Shallz68

Question

I currently have ratings for sleep apnea, PTSD, Heart blockage and uncontrolled high blood pressure all individually. Someone at DAV told me I should try and get NEXUS letter to combine Sleep Apnea with heart and blood pressure issue. Would having them moved as a secondary issue rather than stand alone benefit me any? Would my VA disability rating and pay possibly increase. seems like a lot of paperwork and dealing with VA again when I am already getting paid for all of them right now as individual ratings.

Edited by Shallz68
misspelled words

6 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, Shallz68 said:

I currently have ratings for sleep apnea, PTSD, Heart blockage and uncontrolled high blood pressure all individually. Someone at DAV told me I should try and get NEXUS letter to combine Sleep Apnea with heart and blood pressure issue. Would having them moved as a secondary issue rather than stand alone benefit me any? Would my VA disability rating and pay possibly increase. seems like a lot of paperwork and dealing with VA again when I am already getting paid for all of them right now as individual ratings.

I wouldn't do this with the desire to "Combine" them - however the Nexus is needed to show that the additional contentions are connected somehow. These are separately rated and would thus render you possibly a higher rating. Usually a Nexus is added as new evidence to SC a claim, or to connect as secondary. Hope this helps. As with those secondaries, they may also spurn additional secondaries down the road.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

It never hurts to consider other possible secondary conditions or other issues where you were treated in service and continue to bug you today. One key secondary factor is the side effects of medications used to treat your SC conditions. Don't forget to keep track of the rating critera to see if you might qualify for an increase.

40 minutes ago, Shallz68 said:

There would be no benefit to claim these issues as secondary issues since you are already rated separately for them.  I don't think your DAV adviser knows what they are talking about (  I used to be A DAV adviser) .

When the VA combines disability into one rating, they rate based on the condition that is the worse condition,  so you would only get one rating. In your question you asked about combining 3 ratings into one... that would mean if the VA did this you would lose two ratings and as I said about your rating would be based on the worse condition.  It is much better to have separate rating for these conditions as they combine to a higher rating. 

Take it from a guy that has 3 rating combined into one ( Copd 100% ,Asthma 60% , and Sleep apnea 50%) for a total 100% rating and be dammed the other conditions because they don't count for compensation purposes.  In my case , my conditions are all considered respiratory issues, and the law prevents them from being rated separately, but in your case no such law exist. Be careful what you ask for...

Now as others have raised.  and without knowing each rating that you have be awarded... I can see your combined rating is 70%... if you have one rating at least 40% with a combined rating at 70% or if you have one 60% rating this could help you achieve a total disability based on unemployability  ( TDIU), if you are not working now and if you can show that your disability keeps you from gainful employment.

Edited by Richard1954

I have 10 secondary rated disabilities plus SMC K. As Vync states look at other factors of your SC disabilities to see if they are causing additional disabilities. My SMC K is actually secondary to one of my secondary disabilities. Look at all of your prescribed meds and see what possible side affects they may cause. Look at everything.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
25 minutes ago, paulstrgn said:

My SMC K is actually secondary to one of my secondary disabilities.

Just keep in mind that SMC only means additional money. It is not factored into your combined rating percentage at all.