Announcements

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• Ads

• Fundraising-001.jpegFund HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran LLC

HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran Fundraiser
    Revenues are down, costs are up and I need your help. Financial gifts are always appreciated but never required. If HadIt.com has helped you and you can give back a little it is appreciated Give here https://community.hadit.com/donate/make-donation/

Give a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Our picks

• How to get your questions answered...

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.

Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post clear questions and then give background info on them.

Examples:

A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?

I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?

I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.
      • 2 replies
    • Exams that were being sent strictly to contractors before, due to VAMCs not being open, are starting to be routed back to VAMCs. This is going forward from last Friday- not sure if prior scheduled exams will be re-created for VAMC vs vendor.
      • 7 replies
    • Mere speculation in your VA C and P exam

M21-1, Part III, Subpart iv, Chapter 3, Section D – Examination Reports III.iv.3.D.2.r. Examiner Statements that an Opinion Would be Speculative Pay careful attention to any conclusion by the examiner that an opinion could not be provided without resorting to mere speculation (or any similar language to that effect). VA may only accept a medical examiner’s … Continue reading
      • 0 replies
    • A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment...
      A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment go to https://www.hadit.com I'd like to see how the server handles a lot of traffic. So if you have a moment click the link and i can see how things are going on the back end.
      • 11 replies
    • It's time to ask for help from the community. If you can help with a gift it would be very appreciated.

Fund HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran LLC

Give a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 
      • 11 replies
  • Advertisemnt

Sign in to follow this  
Glenndawson100

Need Opnions; Supplimental Claim denied with possible clear error?

Question

Hi,

I received me letter today, and I was denied. This time the error is clear. The Doctor who preformed my ACE examine said my initial diagnoses was Epilepsy then proven to be pseudo seizures. Initially at the ER (and my week long hospitalization after) and for about one month after I was diagnosed with PNES and not epilepsy. However since I kept experience both petite mal and grand mal episodes and then Epileptic medication treatment began to WORK, I was diagnosed with Epilepsy. My doctor in my civilian record's back dated the diagnoses to the May when the first event occurred. I've attached my letter; you'll see that they received my Neurologists note about my treatment since may and then confirmed my Diagnoses on 04DEC2019. Pseudo seizures are only mentioned in my records between May2019-June2019. I think this VES contracted doctor saw the diagnoses labeled in may but didn't review(or care) to look at the LETTER AND NOTE DATED BY MY DOCTOR ON 05DEC2019 WITH MY CONFIMRED DIGNOSES AND THEN UPLOADED TO THE VA ON 24DEC2019. Opinions? HLR or do I wait 3 months to see my VA Neurologist, as I no longer have Tricare to see my UCHealth DR., and have him confirm the diagnoses... I'm only 5 months away from all this stuff lasting a year and getting really fed up with the VA. My first denial was also because of the phraseology used by my ER and Hospital doctors after the first event in may. Hint that's why I had my specialty neurologist who had been seeing my since June confirm my Epilepsy diagnosis... uuuhhhggg.

InkedIMG_2756_LI.thumb.jpg.ce98c4ba92798dfe168d50dfef08d4be.jpgInkedIMG_2757_LI.thumb.jpg.0bb66781381fb3d5a4a5d06a65641bf5.jpg

Lets back up to "the basics".  

1.  Do you have a current (not in service, but current) diagnosis?

2.  Do you have an "in service event" or aggravation, that you allege caused seizures?  (I dont know what that would be..not sure). 

3.  Finally you need a nexus, which is a doc's opinion that your seizures are at least as likely as not related to your (documented) event in service or was aggravated by service.  

It will take a review of your file to know this.  

Right now, I would appeal, and not "raise the bar" to CUE.   Getting VA benefits is hard enough without having to jump over the "undebatable" hoop of cue.  My further advice is to take this to the BVA, and make sure all 3 of the above are documented.  

Sometimes buddy letters will suffice to document an "in service event".  

At this time there is no rush even if you file a NOD, it may take VA awhile before you get to the HLR.   Your rating was just rated and you have a full year to appeal.  Not sure exactly what was in your doctor's notes but the phraseology you are looking for is that your  condition is at least likely or not caused by or as a result of your military service.  Make sure you don't miss your deadline.

Posted (edited)

Just got back my ACE C&P DBQ report, and this general practice geriatrics doctor put on the forum three times that I have a confirmed diagnosis of Epilepsy from a neurologist as recent as December 2019. Final notes the geriatrics doctor left " The diagnosis of Epilepsy came from the veteran report himself but i cannot confirm based on physician notes in the records. Therefore, the only diagnosis I can definitively make is "Psuedoseizures" 

Attached is my DBQ by VES. Glenn Dawson (Disability Benefits Questionnaire-Epilepsy).pdf

Edited by Glenndawson100

This is what I see so far in the decision, but I will have to find your original topic-

it pays to stay in one thread.

The Letter from UC Health is in question.

Is that the letter from Dr Martin?

They are questioning your nexus to your service.

Their final statement just states Pseudo epilepsy, not Epilepsy.

It looks to me like you will need a strong IMO/IME that follows the IMO/IME criteria here at hadit.

The IMO/IME doctor will need a copy of your SMRs (even though VA admits it was originally epilepsy), the fact that the VA diagnosis  changed will need attention from the IMO/IME doctor- to correct it.

Your other thread says:

“After they reviewed everything they we surprised that my claim was denied as it has a clear nexus and on top of that falls under the conditions; that if they manifest within a year its considered service connected (I separated 02/01/2019, first seizure onset was 05/25/2019).”

That I true if it falls to a disabling degree of 10% within that first year after service and after the claim is filed.

I believe I posted the Chronic Presumptives regulations here before.

That 10%( or more)  needs to be determined by the IMO/IME doctor with a full medical rationale even though this condition sure  did not happen overnight. The IME/IMO doctor can add excerpts from well known medical treatises or abstracts to bolster the 10%.

You could even give the doctor ( and the VA ) evidence that you need accommodations from your employer for that) and the IMO/IME doctor also should seek a direct service nexus in your SMRs that could reveal acronyms or medical notations that would also support a direct  SC nexus.I hop you also have your 201 file, as that too can contain evidence to support a direct SC  claim

What VA questioned is that your disability is not “persistent”- either from service or from the claim you filed within one year of service.

That is the word your IMO/IME  doctor needs to focus on.VA is  looking for chronicity as persistence.

Then the IMO/IME doctor must explain that you have Epilepsy, as well as the pseudo epilepsy component if that,in fact, is part of the Epilepsy.

Somewhere here or on the other thread I believe you said VA had over 100 pages of your medical issues to read over.

I bet they didn’t even get to page 2-and besides you have had no one in my opinion, at the VA, who could possibly understand your medical condition.

You could again contact the C & P place and see if they have anyone at all ,who is qualified to do the exam properly.  But then again I got 2 VA opinions from an Endocrinoliogist for my DMII claim and 

she did everything she could ( and even lied) to deny my claim.

Apparently I knew far more about endocrinology han she did, because after a brief email to Dr Bash, he called me to say if you have what you said you have, this is a Good case.

I sent off his fee and a cover letter and a stack of the medical records etc, and within a week or two he had prepared an Excellent IMO, then needed to do one more, and I also had a Neuro freebee, and I won.

Others will chime in.

I hate to tell a vet to get what could be a costy IMO/IME but often that is the best investment a vet could make.

I feel you have a winner but unfortunately I am not a doctor and cannot prepare IMO/IMEs.

Please feel free to share my opinion here on the decision, with your VSO.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Theopolis
      Hello hadit Community.  I submitted an initial claim for Claustrophobia in 2011 and my claim was denied in March 2015.  I submitted my NOD and  appealed the decision.  I recently  (March 19, 2020) received another rating decision on my claim for Claustrophobia and was denied again for service connection.  The issue in 2015 was that I had no evidence of my account of being mistakenly locked in the Arms Room.  My period of service in the US Army was from 1985 to 1994, where I was a Supply Sergeant/Unit Armorer and stationed primarily overseas.  I submitted buddy statements and a description of my Unit Armorer duties which required me to work in a vault like setting for long periods of time.  
      In September 2019, I submitted an affidavit from Allstate Insurance Company, (on their company letterhead) along with the date and time of the accident to include the Allstate claim number (the accident took place in January 1988) to the Evidence Intake Center.   I called the VA Call Center (1-800-827-1000) numerous times afterwards and they confirmed receipt of the document and stated it was in my C- file.  I also hand delivered a copy of the Allstate Insurance Company affidavit to my Regional Office in October 2019 and have a stamped copy of the documentation as evidence of my submission.
      In March 2020, I finally was scheduled for a C&P exam for Claustrophobia.  My C&P exam took place on March 13, 2020 and I showed the C&P examiner the Allstate affidavit and discussed my automobile accident and my duties as a Unit Armorer as my stressor events for Claustrophobia.   My case was decided on March 19, 2020.  When I reviewed the March 19, 2020 Rating Decision, the Allstate affidavit was not listed in the evidence section. The author of the rating decision spoke vaguely about the evidence and on Page 3 of the three (3) page decision, made the following statement; “ There is simply no evidence to confirm that the reported incident(s) occurred, or that you sought treatment documented during service as a result.”  
      In the March 19, 2020 Rating Decision, the rater stated: “that the March 13, 2020 C&P examination reported a diagnosis of situational phobia (claustrophobia) and the examiner opined that the present diagnosis was at least as likely as not due to the event you subjectively reported.” The March 13, 2020 C&P examination is also listed as a Favorable Finding in the March 19, 2020 decision. What is troubling about the rater’s language is they reference the “event” but does not refer to what the “event” specifically is.  In addition to the Allstate affidavit, I submitted a lay statement from my sister also confirming the accident.  I also included in the evidence:
      a copy of a February 2015, C&P exam, which was held at the Baltimore Maryland VA Hospital and conducted by VA Psychologists and they opined that my conditions of Claustrophobia and Agoraphobia is directly connected to my military service, a copy of a August 2019, Mental Health DBQ which was conducted at the Washington DC VA Hospital and conducted by a VA Psychologist.  The DBQ states my Claustrophobia is linked to my military service; a September 2019 medical opinion letter from my VA Contracted Psychologist, where the doctor states that the automobile accident and my Unit Armorer duties are directly responsible for my Claustrophobia and Agoraphobia. a very detailed Statement in Support of Claim chronologically listing the events in service along with the previous diagnosis that I received. My question for my fellow Veterans is this Rating Decision a Clear Unmistakable Error or just clear incompetence?
      I have been examined four (4) times and currently by Psychologists and all of them have diagnosed me with Claustrophobia. I also have evidence of the automobile accident that I was involved in (thanks to Allstate keeping records over 30 years).
      I requested a Higher Level Review on April 13, 2020 and  articulated all of the above on the VA form. I also requested that a different office conduct the HLR in addition to requesting the informal telephone conference.
      Thanks!
    • By Vync
      Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Or the claim request or the right form? Or when is a claim considered officially open?
      This is a case of my VSO helping me submit a new claim in April 2019 right after the AMA changes went into effect. At the time, neither of us knew we needed to submit it as a supplemental claim instead of a new claim. Years earlier, I had filed a heart claim for Afib, but I forgot about it. I have medical treatment records and a "more likely than not" IMO from a neurologist that I would like to provide to the VA. Just need to get an idea of the actual status of my claim and how I should submit the records.
      I never received a formal decision letter granting or denying my claim for heart condition. Instead, on July 29, 2019, the VA sends me a decision letter denying Cushing's (separate claim), but it says this about my heart claim:

The VA claims "no action on this issue was taken", despite taking action on this issue (i.e. C&P exam). The rating narrative pages for the Cushing's claim make zero mention of heart issues.
      The VA's stance on supplemental claims appears to be that if you previously filed for any claim regarding an organ, then all future claims regarding the same organ would be supplemental, regardless of the actual diagnosis.
      I checked on va.gov and found the claim they received on May 3, 2019, for Cushing's and heart condition was closed. I called Peggy and they are as baffled as I am that the VA can claim to take no action, despite having taken action.

Is my heart claim legally considered open? How can they take action on a claim request and not consider it open?
      Should I submit the IMO with a supplemental statement of claim or as a supplemental claim?

Thanks!

• By Sgt. Creech
      Hey all, 
      In December 2019, I received a decision for my appeal to be remanded back to my regional office. I was scheduled appointments there after and in march of this year I called to check on the status of my claim and I was informed that my file is awaiting review for a decision. my question is how long does this process take... I'm getting tired of fight the VA I have been at this sense 2011!!!!
    • By shotgun
      Hello,
      My claim is being denied over and over again since 2009 and the VA states it is due to my OTH Discharge . Here is a rundown of the claim,
      Bars to benefits per the VA:
      1. AWOL more than 180 days
      2. Acceptance of OTH discharge in-lieu of General Court Martial.
      VA states no records indicate insanity at time of offense, nor compelling circumstances. I recently was made aware my mental health records from Fort Bragg do exist but for 12 years I was told they don't. Someone eventually informed me after countless calls that they do exist and cannot be released to me because of the sensitive information within and might me attempt suicide? 
      I filled the supplemental claim October 28, 2019 with 4 "buddy statements", gave specific locations of these "clinical inpatient records from Fort Bragg", listed my current mental health treatment records from 2012 to 2019 and I am now seeing a VA psychiatrist at the mental health clinic in Tampa, FL 2019 to 2020. VA closed the supplemental claim Novemeber 20, 2019 after 23 days.
      Called and requested a informal hearing via telephone with ST. Petersburg Florida RO, called 800-827-1000 and a represenative filled out VA Form 27-0820 on my behalf. Mysteriously the same supplemental claim "reopened" on VA.GOV Website and after speaking with a "Assistant Coach" as the man claimed he literally said my claim had no hope and to just give up cause your service is dishonorable. VA closed supplemental claim again December 13, 2019.
      Fast forward to February 2020 and behold my long awaited clinical inpatient records from Fort Bragg arrive, My period of treatment was from August 1998 to February 1999, the records I got covered only November 1998 to February 1999. I was excited because I finally had the silver bullet and my records proved I had 9 different diagnoses, 52 days in the WOMAC Psych ward at Fort Bragg. Plus I was awaiting for a bed at medical holdover for a Physical Evaluation Board to wrap up my medical discharge.
      Filed Supplemental claim March 10, 2020 with a clear and concise case that I was insane at the time of offense and 13 days later on March 23, 2020 claim closed again but here is the kicker they once again reopened the October 28, 2019 claim and as of yesterday March 31, 2020 they closed it again.
      After speaking with a VSO who called on my behalf to inquire the reason, and no surprise it was the character of my service and once again they denied me even though I provided a legal brief that I learned how to write so they could understand every statue and regulation that applies to my claim.
      Lastly, here is one more point I applied for a VA home Loan certificate and was denied which I knew I would be but wanted the character of service determination and I got the letter stating my character of service is sufficient for VA purposes, so go figure?
      If anyone can please help me here I would greatly appreciate it, I am exhausted from staying up every night reading statues and VA regulations, I am about at the end of my rope.
      Sincerely, yours
      Frankie I.
  • Ads

• Our picks

• How to get your questions answered...

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.

Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post clear questions and then give background info on them.

Examples:

A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?

I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?

I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.
      • 2 replies
    • Exams that were being sent strictly to contractors before, due to VAMCs not being open, are starting to be routed back to VAMCs. This is going forward from last Friday- not sure if prior scheduled exams will be re-created for VAMC vs vendor.
      • 7 replies
    • Mere speculation in your VA C and P exam

M21-1, Part III, Subpart iv, Chapter 3, Section D – Examination Reports III.iv.3.D.2.r. Examiner Statements that an Opinion Would be Speculative Pay careful attention to any conclusion by the examiner that an opinion could not be provided without resorting to mere speculation (or any similar language to that effect). VA may only accept a medical examiner’s … Continue reading
      • 0 replies
    • A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment...
      A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment go to https://www.hadit.com I'd like to see how the server handles a lot of traffic. So if you have a moment click the link and i can see how things are going on the back end.
      • 11 replies
    • It's time to ask for help from the community. If you can help with a gift it would be very appreciated.

Fund HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran LLC

Give a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 
      • 11 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines