VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

FYI State Property Tax Exemption for 100% P&T

Just wanted to put this post out there because it genuinely took me as a shock. Luckily, it shouldn't have a huge effect on me, but it really might for some.

So as most know, each state has different benefits given to vets with disabilities and most notably is that many states give property exemption for 100% P&T or TDIU vets. See link here for info:

https://www.military.com/benefits/veteran-state-benefits/state-veterans-benefits-directory.html

This is all fine and good, but I just applied for my exemption in my state only to learn that I would see no benefit from it until September 2021. The reason behind this is that our state is bass ackwards and pays property taxes in "arrears". So September 2020 and March 2021, I will actually be paying my 2019 property taxes, since my application will for some reason only begin for the 2020 property taxes that are to be paid September 2021 and March 2022. 

Maybe this all makes sense to you all, and I hate to bite the hand that feeds, but I will be contacting as many state government officials that I can to try to get this changed so that it is effective upon application. I can afford to pay until September 2021, but what about someone who had to go on TDIU suddenly or for a widow of a vet that passed from a service connected injury? 

So moral of the story is, check on all of your bennies because some of them may still be just out of reach.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same issue in my state.  Its the same for social security disability (you have a wating period), then you are paid "in arrears".  Ditto for VA disability.  If your effective date is April 9, you dont receive any money until June 1.  (comp is paid "in arrears", and begins on the first day of the month FOLLOWING your effective date, but you dont get paid until that month is over with, so your first check would be June 1).  

• HadIt.com Elder

If you got your property tax exemption on a certain month  say June 1st and you have to wait a complete year before the county takes the property tax exemption   if you homestead you should get all the tax $$ you paid in  at the time you were exempt    for the entire year or all the  property taxes you paid..other wise whats the exemption for?