VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question - does the VA have un iform standards at clinics

Rate this topic

I have run into this new issue and feel that my VA system in Alabama is using a different set of procedures compared to others.

I am 70% rated,on oxygen and CPAP so all medical is covered.   After 3 months of struggle I finally got a CPAP machine from the VA - but it was a struggle.

We lost power here after some severe storms and it was off for 2.5 days (2 nights).  I ran out of oxygen battery from my portable in 7 hours but OK.  However, I could not use the CPAP and I had a really rough 2 nights.  My friend is in NY and on CPAP as well.  He asked about camping and his VA sent him a battery unit for his Philips Dream Station like mine and a 12 car adapter  ... very nice stuff.  He is rated 10% but not for sleep apnea so I's not sure how all that works.

I asked my sleep clinic in Montgomery if the had the battery unit OR (important OR) a 12v car adapter and I could make my own OR if they had a bad power unit so I could just get the plug on the end and make my own.

I got what I thought was a pretty arrogant reply - "The VA does no supply any battery backup for CPAP but you can purchase your own on the Internet" - well no shit!  I thought that was a horribly attitude and no mention or the OR possibilities.

So my question is if the VA has uniform policy or did my friend just get very lucky?  It seems that all of the VA clinics should offer the same supplies uniformly.

Does anyone have experience with this?  Thanks very much for the input.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is absolutely no uniformity or standards at VA or the VAMC. I would say that your friend got very lucky. What one veteran get granted or approved for at one VA or VAMC may not at another.  I was informed with the same answer when lightning fried my Cpap machine and it quit working all together.  I was given a new Cpap machine and was informed to buy a power surge plug.

• HadIt.com Elder

Rexlan There are somethings that are consistent and then there are some that , well, not so much. This is what I would do: I would send a secure message to your primary doc. Tell him pretty much what happened. Ask him if he could intervene. And, here's the kicker, tell him because of those couple days without a working CPAP, tell him you aren't feeling well and request ANOTHER sleep study! The VA doesn't like spending $ on medical procedures especially if they are earlier than they should be scheduled. I don't know if you have any MH disabilities, like depression or anxiety, but tell him you are Really nervous about the situation happening again. My guess is you will get some action.

As usual great information and replies -- thanks very much!!

My stuff is Viet Nam PTSD (1965)  .. I let it go close to 50 years and only applied last August.  Funny thing is I didn't want the $$ just the health care we were promised back in the day -- totally rethinking that now. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Rexlan If you are a Vietnam veteran and kinda new to this, take a look at the listing of presumptive diseases for AO here  https://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/conditions/index.asp  Hopefully you are healthy and none of this applies to you. but this listing has expanded quite a bit over the last 10 years or so. Don't forget that if you have any of these conditions, they often result in SECONDARY conditions that can also be disabilities. For example, type II diabetes often leads to hbp and eye problems tthat on the surface most people wouldn't connect. Keep on reading and learning on Hadit and ask questions when you need to.

SSA and VA disability compensations were set up to help individuals that would become disabled or to assist them later on in life to maintain an average or standard of living.  When I was in the military like most to all, I was not thinking about disability or have to quit work at a younger age. My plan was to retire. When I got hurt I continued on but when I got sick and couldn't recover, my first thoughts were, what the heck are you going to do now. Even when I was discharged, I was not thinking or knowing anything about disability. It wasn't until one of my VA doctor's telling me that I had to quit work just to have a more better life due to chronic pain that could only be treated but never be cured.  I went to school thinking I could beat this thing but my condition(s) only got worst to the point where I had to realized that I couldn't  ever go back to work. I had to realized that these programs were set up for individuals like me. After helping a friend get granted 100% TDIU, I encouraged him to file for SSDI but he refused and decided to wait for his retirement age of 65. Yes, my friend was not even 50 years old.  Yes, I knew that there was no guarantee that he would be granted SSDI but it was most likely would get it.   My thoughts were, since he was  already awarded 100% TDIU and it was not likely that he would ever go back to work and would never accrue any more work credits then why not get his SS benefits compared to waiting for them. He still refused to file a claim but that was/is on him.  We never know what will happen and in this day in age where people are losing their jobs and running out of basic supplies. If you qualify for benefits, apply now and let these benefits help you and your family. These benefits are earned through our sacrifice and our commitment to our country and are in no way the same as welfare. Some veterans feel that SSA and VA are welfare and they of course are not.