VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SMC (s-1)

Rate this question

JL1310

Question

I may be getting ahead of myself but I received a retroactive payment today so I looked on EBenefits. It stated that I was awarded 100% T&P SMC (S-1) for a nephrectomy I had done in September due to cancer on my left kidney (Service-Connected). I have been rated at 70% T&P since 2009 for sinusitis, torn labrum, and a few other things not related to my kidney at all. I guess my question is was this payment for the 2 months I was recovering at home or is this a permanent payment I will receive in addition to my disability payment? Of course I can wait for my paperwork to get here but curiosity is killing me!

SMC (S-1)Effective Date : 09/20/2019

Entitled to special monthly compensation under 38 U.S.C. 1114, subsection (s) and 38 CFR 3.350(i) on account of Neoplasm of the kidney, malignant, Nephrectomy (previously rated as renal calculi, claimed as kidney stones) rated 100 percent and additional service-connected disabilities of benign prostatic hypertrophy, patellofemoral syndrome, right knee, rotator cuff tendonitis with impingement, right shoulder (previously rated under DC 5099-5020), patellofemoral syndrome, left knee, sinusitis, residuals, ankle fracture, right, migraine headaches, independently ratable at 60 percent or more from 09/20/2019.

Edited by JL1310
Add info

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Congratulations!   Dont let worry take away your joy of getting retro/benefits.  

Now, sorry we can not predict what ebenefits means when they say "_________" because its unreliable.  You will have to wait for the envelope to know.  

I suggest you focus on what you are going to do with the money.  Save some, spend some, invest some, and, GIVE some.  That is what I do with my retro.  I learned not to focus "so much" on how I am going to "spend" it, but rather focus on how I am going to "keep" it.    I did all 4 of those things with my retro:  Save, spend, invest, and give.  I spent "very little" on myself and dont regret giving a significant portion (about 20 percnt) away.  

I try to be careful and "not be a 4 year old".  You have seen them.  "Johnny" is upset with "Billy" because Billy is playing with a toy that "Johnny" wants.  Nevermind, that Johnny could have been playing with that same toy for months, but "didnt want to play with it" until Billy picked it up and started playing with it.  Hopefully, I can be smarter than a 4 year old and not buy things out of "envy", but instead be generous and instead "derive joy" that Billy shares his friendship by playing with his toys, too!    Probably the "most joy" he can have is giving that favorite toy to Johnny..and get a friend for life.  But that wisdom rarely happens at age 4.  Hopefully we have progressed beyond 4 year old thinking.  

• HadIt.com Elder

About the only thing I could advise a Veteran to do with his Retro  is spend it very wisely and always keep back enough for a IMO if ever needed.

with the VA We never know when they might call us up for a C&P  to check and see if our S.C. Disability's have improved  rather were P&T or not..the VA can do these things.

After Veterans reach the scheduled 100%  or is on TDIU P&T  ..This rating will boost him up on all benefits, the property tax is a GREAT Benefit  it reduces house payments & PMI  so the veteran can find a larger and newer home for his family  and have less Payments that he can afford.

Most states honor the full property tax reduction Exemption 100%  Unfortunately some states only honor the property tax exemption to a minimal amount ,check with your county tax appraisal district.