VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

POA for VSO

Rate this question

GBArmy

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

One thing that I am curious about is the Power of Attorney (POA) that a veteran signs off on to a VSO, such as the VFW or DAV. I understand the function of the VSO, but what is the VSO's incentive? I expect someone, perhaps Brokensoldier for one, would have first hand knowledge. I'm thinking it is directly or indirectly connected to a financial incentive. Maybe, the VA pays "X" to the VSO organization for ever veteran they represent say on a monthly basis. If it isn't financial, what is it?

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Alex spoke on this.  While the VSO's adamantly "deny" that their compensation is "on commission" based on POA's, the numbers show otherwise.  The VA compensates the VSO (not the indivdual VSO, the DAV, VFW corporate, etc) based on the number of POA's.  (That sounds like another name for a "commission" to me.  You pay the salesman based on his number of sales).  

For proof, you will see that "large" VSO's, such as the DAV, get much more "help" from VA than the "small" VSO's, in proportion to the number of POA's.   Also, note:  VSO's get "free rent" at VARO's and VAMC's.  Remeber, there is no such thing as "free rent".  The VSO's have to "cooperate" with the VA..this is a nice way of saying:

Cmon down!  Free Rent!!!   Ok, now that you are here, this is what is required of you to get "free rent"..

1.  Represent interests of the VA over and above the interest of Veterans.  

2.  If in doubt, see rule 1.