VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Attorney won't give me the IMO and vocational letters. Can't talk to the attorney of record.

Rate this question

Scottymedic

Question

The organization I hired for my claim will not give me a copy of the IMO and vocational reports without me paying for them first.

They also will not let me speak to the attorney of record on my case.

I have filed a FOIA request, but I wonder what other options may be available for getting a copy.   

I am also wondering if anyone else has had difficulty talking to the attorney of record and what can be done?

4 answers to this question

• Lead Moderator

Did they pay for the IMO?  If so I believe they own it until the end of the case.  As for why they would not let you talk to your attorney is very strange.  I talk to mine as often as we need too.

I could be wrong and someone jump in here but I am not sure they will give a copy until the case is complete.

I would be finding out what the issue is and why they are having this issue.  The attorney is there for you, there is no reason for them not to talk to you as you are their client.  I mean short of making threat to them, I don't see a reason they would not talk to you.

I agree with Shrek.  

When I buy gas, most of the time, I have to pay for it before I get it.  Why?  Because too many people have filled their tank, and then driven off without paying.  

The answer here is simple:  Pay for the IMO, then you can see it.  I paid for mine with a credit card.  

As far as "speaking to the attorney of record"...well, here is the deal.  There is a shortage of attorney's to represent Veterans.  People have told me "private" attorneys representing workman comp, social security, etc, sometimes charge 40 percent.  

Most attorney's who represent Vets do it for 20 percent.  

And, these attorney's dont really have time to "hold our hand".  If we need hand holding, we should seek someone besides an attorney.  I have had attorney's not return my emails/calls.  They probably got tired of hearing "one more" Veteran's entitlement hyptothesis that wont work.  And, they were/are busy.  So busy, many attorney's turn down at least some of the claimants who seek their representation.  

I got over it real quick, when my attorney won me MONEY.  Chris Attig has won me a "high 5 figure" retro, and it didnt cost me a cent.  Why?  Well he repesented me at CAVC, won  a remand got paid from eaja, and informed me he "doesnt do" BVA and suggested I could represent myself "if I hired an IMO" He gave me the name of the person who would/did do my IMO, and I did as he suggested, won at the BVA, and paid zero attorney fees.  

Forget him returning my calls or emails.  The results speak much louder.  

13 hours ago, broncovet said:

People have told me "private" attorneys representing workman comp, social security, etc, sometimes charge 40 percent.

I don’t know about workman comp, or etc. But this is what social security is limited to -

Fee Agreements and Fee Petitions

To get their fees paid, Social Security lawyers enter into written fee agreements with their clients and submit those fee agreements to Social Security for approval. If Social Security approves the fee agreement, it will pay your attorney for you directly out of your backpay. The attorney and the client can agree on any fee, as long as it does not exceed $6,000 or 25% of your backpay, whichever is less. That limit on fees is a part of Social Security law, and in most cases, an attorney can't charge more than that.