• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Continuity Of Symptomatology

Rate this question

Josephine

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta,

What does this mean. I pasted it from your post.

Thanks,

Josephine

3. You can connect the in-service event(s) directly with your present symptoms (known as

continuity of symptomatology)

Edited by Josephine

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Josephine

Continuity of symptomology really means that the symptoms that arose from in-service event have continued up to the present. Now to draw a connection bwtween the symptoms and the service event is to prove a nexus. You know the steps are

current disability, evidence of in-service illness or injury and a nexus to connect them. Continuity of symptoms would be your ability to show that say you hurt your back in the service. You should be able to show that this problems has continued up to the present. The best way to do this is by medical documentation to show treatment records from the time of your injury in-service up to the present. If you are claiming a mental/emotional disorder you want to show that you have been treated for this problem since it happened to you in-service. It is hard to show service connection if you have one entry in your SMR's describing a nervous condition and then nothing for 30 years until you have a doctor say you have this problem. It makes it harder but not impossible. That is why people with PTSD have to show a stressor and often get grilled on their life after service to show a pattern of problems up to the present.

Well stated John-

Josephine -what I mean is this-

a person has a current disability if they have a condition that is continuously treated.

Medication records are only one part of the treatment records-

To show "continued symptomalogy"- the veteran has to show they have received continuous treatment.

If a vet has PTSD- gets the diagnosis and the comp and then fails to continue medications and receive any therapy -the VA could possibly propose to reduce their comp-

because they appear to have sustained improvement-

• HadIt.com Elder
Josephine

Continuity of symptomology really means that the symptoms that arose from in-service event have continued up to the present. Now to draw a connection bwtween the symptoms and the service event is to prove a nexus. You know the steps are

current disability, evidence of in-service illness or injury and a nexus to connect them. Continuity of symptoms would be your ability to show that say you hurt your back in the service. You should be able to show that this problems has continued up to the present. The best way to do this is by medical documentation to show treatment records from the time of your injury in-service up to the present. If you are claiming a mental/emotional disorder you want to show that you have been treated for this problem since it happened to you in-service. It is hard to show service connection if you have one entry in your SMR's describing a nervous condition and then nothing for 30 years until you have a doctor say you have this problem. It makes it harder but not impossible. That is why people with PTSD have to show a stressor and often get grilled on their life after service to show a pattern of problems up to the present.

Thanks, John,

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

• HadIt.com Elder
Well stated John-

Josephine -what I mean is this-

a person has a current disability if they have a condition that is continuously treated.

Medication records are only one part of the treatment records-

To show "continued symptomalogy"- the veteran has to show they have received continuous treatment.

If a vet has PTSD- gets the diagnosis and the comp and then fails to continue medications and receive any therapy -the VA could possibly propose to reduce their comp-

because they appear to have sustained improvement-

Berta,

I was discharged in June of 1964. I guess that I am one of the lucky ones, for I have always kept my medical records in the care of my primary doctor of 29 years. He has them for me in his safe 1965 to present. I thought that was where the lady doc was coming from.

I don't see this in my case. Nervousness is mentioned by both psychiatrist. I guess we could count that as twiced. The librum was for something, that no one seems to know what it was for, as this was mentioned by Dr. C.

The lady doctor mentions my meds in order. Since that service, extensive medical records began in 1965 with her pregnancy and then pick up again on November 25, 1967 when Librium was ordered 5 Mg. prn. From that point through 1979 she was given, "Valium" in 1972 and 73, “Elavil in 1975, Etrafon 1975, Valium in 1976, Elixir of Butisol 1975, Valium1975, Mellaril in 1975, Adapin in 1976, Ativan in 1978 along with Stelazine for " chronic anxiety reaction" and then in 1979 she began on Valium again 5 mg daily also in 1979 there are prescriptions for Serax, Doxepin, Vistaril, Tranxene, and Ativan .In 1976 she was also given Fiorinal for headaches. In 1980 she began seeing Dr Pxxx, who continued the Valium and began Darvocet on a regular basis for headaches. She apparently took both of these medications through 1998, and reported above, continues to take Valium to date.

I wasn't sure if you could have a year not listed. I am looking, but only see the ones when I was pregnant.

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

• HadIt.com Elder
I haven't been rated yet for my claim(s) filed in 2005, but I suspect that the VA will attack my claim(s) on this very subject/issue. After separation from the service, I had a hard time with employment for 10 to 12 years. Then, I worked for 26, sucessfully. And, I can't document many problems as is in my claims during that period. That very well may become a major problem for my claim(s). Guess thats why I need the VBM manual. I might be able to find a strategy in the VBM that would work during my appeals process?

1968 Army,

My case comes up for rating at the Appeals Management Center, as it has been remanded by the BVA anytime. I am pretty sure that I will have an answer before you receive your new book.

I am going to do as Dr. Bash said for me to do. I did take Terry's advice and sent the two C&P examinations to him, for him to read and he replied back, for me to wait until they make their decision and if it is a negative, sent him a special email with a heading on it that he gave to me. He has a psychiatrist that will do the IMO.

He said that I would have time to get an IMO in the 60 day re-consideration period.

I just wasn't sure what the Va considered as continious treatment, as I was pregnant three times in those first years.

It is getting harder and harder to gather up medical records from any doctors that are 30 years old.

What a mess!!

Thanks,

Josephine

Edited by Josephine