VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Higher level review

Rate this question

Joey Ross

Question

I had a higher level review, and new C&P yesterday. How long before I know something, since this is a higher level review process?

I believe it will come down to the complexity of your claim. HLR is just a higher level reviewer taking a look at your current claim as it is, without any NEW evidence. My claim is under HLR now as well. From everything I have read they try to get them done within 125 days, I think. However, I have heard others say it took about a month or a month and a half. It all depends.

Assuming the new CP exam was for the claim and requested by the HLR, it may not take too long but then again with current events happening it could take a few months?

In my experience, they tend to move much faster with mental health claims. I was able to win mine in about 3 months on the first go as a secondary to my SC condition. Not sure if this will help you or not but a ball park might be the best you'll get in terms of a timeline? You can also search around the forums here for HLR timelines, see how others fared? Good luck with your claim! You got this!

Edited by Foxhound6

• HadIt.com Elder

i WOULD BE GUESSING AT ABOUT 2 TO 3 WEEKS   BEFORE YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON THE C&P REPORT.

On 8/8/2020 at 12:52 PM, Foxhound6 said:

I believe it will come down to the complexity of your claim. HLR is just a higher level reviewer taking a look at your current claim as it is, without any NEW evidence. My claim is under HLR now as well. From everything I have read they try to get them done within 125 days, I think. However, I have heard others say it took about a month or a month and a half. It all depends.

Assuming the new CP exam was for the claim and requested by the HLR, it may not take too long but then again with current events happening it could take a few months?

In my experience, they tend to move much faster with mental health claims. I was able to win mine in about 3 months on the first go as a secondary to my SC condition. Not sure if this will help you or not but a ball park might be the best you'll get in terms of a timeline? You can also search around the forums here for HLR timelines, see how others fared? Good luck with your claim! You got this!

It was for ptsd, she checked almost every box of symptoms , and also stated I looked much older than my stated age.

On 8/8/2020 at 1:41 PM, Buck52 said:

i WOULD BE GUESSING AT ABOUT 2 TO 3 WEEKS   BEFORE YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON THE C&P REPORT.

Got a glimpse over the phone today, she stated I have ptsd,  checked almost every box for symptoms. She also noted I look much older than my stated age. she never stated anything on service connection, or stresser. So i think that's a good thing

• HadIt.com Elder

Sounds good,

you more than likely will  be rated at 100%  but depending on those boxes she checked off?...it could be 70% 

At my C&P exam for PTSD she never ask me about my age  nor did she comment on how old I looked...I do not know why she  mention this to you?....>  '' you look much older than your stated age?''

Also as for  C&P Exam as for as my stressors  she said she read about my stressors and apologized and said she won't be bringing them up during the exam,

The only bad thing about that is if she didn't read about your stressors  the rater may want another C&P Exam to clear off  your stressors or check them,  but if you had enough evidence of record  and it was detailed about your stressors  then they may use that.

if she never cheked this box

Rating

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought processes or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name. 100%

then it more than likely be a 70% rating   but it could be a lesser rating depending on if she cheeked all the boxes.?

but that maybe this is a good thing   and a 100% rating is awarded.

but don't get your hopes up   wait until you recieve your decision.

sounds like a positive exam  in my opinion.

Edited by Buck52

37 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

Sounds good,

you more than likely will  be rated at 100%  but depending on those boxes she checked off?...it could be 70% 

At my C&P exam for PTSD she never ask me about my age  nor did she comment on how old I looked...I do not know why she  mention this to you?....>  '' you look much older than your stated age?''

Also as for  C&P Exam as for as my stressors  she said she read about my stressors and apologized and said she won't be bringing them up during the exam,

The only bad thing about that is if she didn't read about your stressors  the rater may want another C&P Exam to clear off  your stressors or check them,  but if you had enough evidence of record  and it was detailed about your stressors  then they may use that.

if she never cheked this box

Rating

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought processes or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name. 100%

then it more than likely be a 70% rating   but it could be a lesser rating depending on if she cheeked all the boxes.?

but that maybe this is a good thing   and a 100% rating is awarded.

but don't get your hopes up   wait until you recieve your decision.

sounds like a positive exam  in my opinion.

It wasn't stated to me , but was part of her report, about me. Like I said it was just  questions about symptoms. No stressor questions, but I did show her pictures I have of the stressors, and she stated she was sorry that I went through those events