Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Another Retro Pay Question

Rate this question

LeroyJohnson

Question

When you receive retro on a claim they pay retro rate based on the veteran and his or her dependents. My question is what happens when one of your dependents passes away before the retro amount is paid do you still receive their retro amount as they were alive during the period of time that the retro amount is being paid for? My son Christopher who I have posted about before lost his fight for life Jan 24, 2007. He has just turned 13 and will be greatly missed.

Leroy

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Leroy,

I cannot fathom how you can be handling this. My daughter is 7, her name is Mary and should something happen to her.... well, . My prayers go to you my friend, and to your son.

Bob Smith

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. We ,especially my wife who cared for his every need 24/7 is having a very hard time with this. We just take it minute by minute hour by hour. He had asked us to do somethings while he was alive and we are going to continue with what he wanted us as a family to do. Some how doing these things brings some peace to us we know he is watching and smiling at us from above. He was a very special boy and life without him can and will never be the same.We know that some day we will be together again. My son found peace in designing Christopher's head stone it is a stone they will share together when his time comes . I pray none of you ever have to feel this kind of pain in your lifetime.

Leroy

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. We ,especially my wife who cared for his every need 24/7 is having a very hard time with this. We just take it minute by minute hour by hour. He had asked us to do somethings while he was alive and we are going to continue with what he wanted us as a family to do. Some how doing these things brings some peace to us we know he is watching and smiling at us from above. He was a very special boy and life without him can and will never be the same.We know that some day we will be together again. My son found peace in designing Christopher's head stone it is a stone they will share together when his time comes . I pray none of you ever have to feel this kind of pain in your lifetime.

Leroy

Leroy,

I was finally granted SC after 9 years. 100% P & T

From when I first put in a claim my Daughter got a Masters Degree & the VA sent her a check for 11k. It depends on how far back they rate your claim.If U are not happy with the date file a NOD

I'm unaware if the person it applies to has to write said letter but this may be an avenue to explore

I also lost a Grand Daughter in 1995 that was 10 years old.

I remember her laying there & praying to chage places with her but to no avail.

I have since joined the Catholic Church ( Don't go as much as I should) but I am beginning to have faith & especially have a Father that I can communicate with.

Why do these things happen I have no idea.

But, maybe just maybe someday it will be clear to me.

If the VA denies a claim on your son file a NOD & if the BVA turns it down get a Lawyer.

Took me 9 years & a Lawyer & immense help from Berta.

GARY

Don't give up no matter what happens or U lose. :rolleyes:

gdsnide