VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Removal of Implanted lens due to complications over the years what will rating be if left aphakia

Rate this question

Richard1954

Question

In 2008, the VA performed cataract surgery on my left eye, which were caused  by use of steroids for my service connected lung condition. About one month after the surgery I started having complications  which developed into pigmentary glaucoma.  As time went on symptoms got worse causing loss of vision due to increased pressure in the eye. My vision would just go completely whiteout. This condition was caused by the lens being placed to close to my iris, and rubbing on the iris. When I ended up on blood thinners the condition got worse if my INR was to high, ( INR is the  measurement of  the therapeutic level of blood thinners) I would end up with internal bleeding in the eye.  Recently ( three weeks ago) I woke up to find that I could not see again, having a total whiteout in the eye. Ironically, I was scheduled at the va on the same day to get an exam for new glasses.  This time the bleeding was not caused by a higher INR. In fact, my INR was lower than usual but still within the required limits. I went to my appointment only to learn that my eye was bleeding due to a broken blood vessel again caused by the lens rubbing my iris, apparently moving slightly and caused the bleed. This time the blood was also behind the eye and not just between the lens and iris.  I was scheduled to have surgery for tomorrow, which has been postponed until next week. Over the years there was talk of replacing the  lens, but because the " strings", that hold the lens in place are broken, there was no way to secure the lens away from the iris unless it was sewed in. I always told the doctors no more surgery as I was afraid things would get worse.At least I had my sight 75% of the time. Now things are different, blood is getting behind the eye and eventually will damage the retina worse than it is already damaged and I will lose my sight. I was told it could take 6 months for the blood to clear itself, but in the meantime I could continue to have these bleeds.. so surgery has become necessary or I will lose all my vision. So,  I have agreed to have the lens removed, but it will be at least 6 months before they can sew a new lens in, because they want to insure the eye has healed.  I have already told them after this surgery I will not have another surgery( have had 3 minor surgeries on the eye already). So the only way I will be able to see is if they can fit a contact lens, or get coke bottle glasses for the left eye. After years of fighting with the va about the initial 30% rating, I finally received a 60% rating on the eye last year due to 7 or more visits to have medical care on my eye within a 12 month period.   

So now comes the questions.... Will the va award me a K award for loss of use of the  eye if left without a lens as I will only have light perception? Will the va rate me temporary 100% for the period I must wait ( at least 6 months) before the doctors will even consider sewing a lens in place.    And if a contact lens will not work,  and I am left with just my right eye, how does the va rate the loss of vision. I have tried to understand the rating schedule... but for Aphakia the rating says its only a 30% rating,  if I am determined to only have light perception  the va may rate based on loss of use, and best vision in my right eye without glasses.. did I get this right?  

I don't want to waste time on a claim that will only net 30%... but if a claim results in a K award or temporary 100% rating.. it will be worth my time....

Any input would be nice....

Also... I know some of you may be wondering .. did I submit an 1151 claim ( malpractice) yes and it went no where.... I was also already service connected due to the use of steroids causing the cataracts. 

I haven't been on the site in a long time,  because I am already fighting stage 4 prostrate cancer,  I am doing well, in that my medications seem to be working and delaying any progression of  the disease... 

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Richard1954. Yes, I believe you will get SMC(k) for loss of use of your eye. Should be automatic. https://www.hillandponton.com/additional-compensation-smc-k/  If you can't get a diagnosis from the VA on the loss of funtionallity (use), you may have to get an outside diagnosis. I am not so sure about a temp award of 100% though, as you already receive 100% now. You may want to double check M21-1 to be sure.

GB 

Thanks for the reply... as to the  temporary 100% , if I understand  the rules  they say as long as the doctors call for a least 1 month of convalescent after a service connected surgery it can be renewed incrementally for up to 12 months... certainly I would not get paid for two 100% awards.. but a temporary  100% rating should bump up my SMC L 1/2 to  M for about $200 more a month.....