VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Any need to update an individual condition rating if already rated 100% permanent and total

Rate this question

OldSalt3009

Question

I am already rated 100% permanent and total disabled. However, two of my conditions (both service connected) have now worsened and require major surgery. One condition is currently rated at 0% and the other at 30%. Is there any reason to submit a supplemental claim after my surgery to potentially get the ratings of these two conditions updated or revised?  

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

OldSalt3009 Sometimes. If you are P&T and are not looking to go for any SMC's, then in my opinion, you don't have to do anything. The two conditions are already S-C, so you don't add any new ones, and you also don't get any more $. 

• HadIt.com Elder

If, however, if you are looking to get to some SMC's, then it would make sense. Really depends on what your VA math says you are at and if you anticipate going for more later. Even rated at 0% gives the VA notice you have the specific disability, so not a lot to be gained for most circumstances.

Maybe.  Your spouse, if you have one, would "probably" like the security of an extra 1400 or so per month, upon your death.  So, consider this:

1.  Your wife should get DIC if you die of a SC condition OR

2.  If you die from any reason once you are 100 percent P and T AFTER 10 years.   

"If" you have a condition that is not SC, "but could be", AND its possible to die from that, then you should persue additional disabilities/percentages in order to get DIC. 

Example:  CAD.   "If" you are Vietnam Vet, the CAD is presumptive, and since its often the cause of death, you should consider applying for this "if" you have not been P and T for 10 years. 

DIC is a huge deal for your spouse if you pass before her.  (Likely, women outlive men by a wide margin!)

21 hours ago, GBArmy said:

OldSalt3009 Sometimes. If you are P&T and are not looking to go for any SMC's, then in my opinion, you don't have to do anything. The two conditions are already S-C, so you don't add any new ones, and you also don't get any more $. 

21 hours ago, GBArmy said:

20 hours ago, broncovet said:

Maybe.  Your spouse, if you have one, would "probably" like the security of an extra 1400 or so per month, upon your death.  So, consider this:

1.  Your wife should get DIC if you die of a SC condition OR

2.  If you die from any reason once you are 100 percent P and T AFTER 10 years.   

"If" you have a condition that is not SC, "but could be", AND its possible to die from that, then you should persue additional disabilities/percentages in order to get DIC. 

Example:  CAD.   "If" you are Vietnam Vet, the CAD is presumptive, and since its often the cause of death, you should consider applying for this "if" you have not been P and T for 10 years. 

DIC is a huge deal for your spouse if you pass before her.  (Likely, women outlive men by a wide margin!)

Thanks for the valuable reminders about SMCs. I was already fairly up to speed on the DIC piece for my wife. While I don't "foresee" any imminent pursuit of SMC, the brutal reality is one never knows down the road, or even what surgical complications or bad outcomes could add to the picture. I'm thinking it can't hurt (no risk) to go ahead and file a supplemental claim after the surgery to try to get those two individual ratings raised, even though the current bottom line benefit would not be impacted/increased in any way. Better to just have a more accurate rating for the two conditions (if they're warranted or approved, of course). Sort of a CYA or better safe than sorry strategy for the unknown future as it may impact any future need for a SMC. Thanks so much for the help! I really appreciate the comments!