Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

BIG NEWS !!!!!!! AO BWN NVLSP

Rate this question

Berta

Question

I have been waiting for this to happen ,wondering if BWN AOs would ever get benefits of Nehmer , and it did happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blue Water AO veterans now have true Equity and will be be given their proper RETRO under Nehmer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a Glorious Victory, Thanks to NVLSP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW- I just got the 2020=20121 VBM, and it seems they gave me a very favorable discount.

If you are a veteran's claims  advocate, this is an important tool to have, when helping veterans.

What a Wonderful Victory on the heels of Veterans day next Wednesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nehmer will apply to BWN widow's claims as well.

Nehmer Order 11-5-20 re blue water claimants (1).pdf

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

This is great, Berta!  Does this mean AO Vets can contact NVLSP (no charge) to see if they qualify for retro?  I assume it does.  That is HUGE..its not enough that Vets get BWN, but you know VA will want to "weasel" out of it, or just "forget" to pay those who already deserve it, so having NVLSP to represent them, paid by the government, would be great for Vets.  

THAT, is the way it happens for Nehmer...if you are a Nehmer class Vet, and you are due retro for that reason (many Vets dont know), then the NVLSP will fight VA for you for your retro, and it cost the Veteran nothing.  (Attorney fees for Vets, as I understand it, are part of the Nehmer Class settlement). 

As some Vets know, NVLSP is a non profit (501 C3) organization, and when they agree to represent (the Veteran), then they dont bill the Veteran.  Its either Pro Bono, or paid by EAJA fees/Nehmer class settlement fees.  

NVLSP is THE EXPERT on Nehmer.  Remember, Bart Stichman (NVLSP) is a co author of the BLM, so he has in depth legal knowledge on Veterans benefits law for decades.  

https://www.nvlsp.org/what-we-do/lawyers-serving-warriors/

Allow me to quote from the NVLSP website:

Since the CAVC was created in 1988, NVLSP has represented thousands of veterans before the Court - all at no charge to the veteran.

Each year, staff attorneys from the National Veterans Legal Services Program review thousands of veterans claims that were denied by the Board of Veterans’ Appeals (BVA) – the highest authority within the VA. When NVLSP determines that a BVA denial is worthy of appeal to the CAVC, NVLSP offers to represent the veteran or their family at no cost.

Of the cases we appeal each year, over 90% result in either a reversal of the previously denied claim or the case is sent back for the VA to correct one or more legal errors.  This is an extremely high win rate at a federal appeals court level. Each and every victory is profound and life-changing for men and women who have sacrificed so much.

"If" the Veteran is eligible for Nehmer (and the NVLSP can help determine that, generally it means you served in Vietnam), its my opinion there is no reason not to ask the NVLSP for their services, because the attorney fees will be paid by EAJA, or, by requirement of the court, as in Nehmer.  

Edited by broncovet

Broncovet, the Order is about 10 pages of legalize and I have not read it all yet-----

it isn't even on NVLSP web site yet-----

A BWN advocate sent it to me early this AM----and I know another BWN vet advocate will be calling or emailing me soon, as she was cced on the email----- they know more about the VA claims process than any VSO I ever had.---these two female advocates , here in NY are not even veterans, and neither am I , but all three of us have made AO a major part of our lives.

Two of us are widows of AO veterans.

My concern is about the widows claims.Hopefully they will come here if they need help.

I only know of one Blue Water Navy AO veteran here-since HR 299 was won--- that has concerned me greatly-maybe there might be more now

forgot to answer your question:

"This is great, Berta!  Does this mean AO Vets can contact NVLSP (no charge) to see if they qualify for retro?"

I know NVLSP had a Bluewaternavy AO addy- but it might have changed- I will contact my NVLSP contact lawyer to find out-

NVLSP reviewed my AO decision, as they did ,for any claimant who requested that review-

They would need a VA decision on the retro first however, and that will take time........Time is the enemy of veteran- not the VA.

I just got the new 2020-2021 VBM yesterday and have not even opened it yet-there might be some info in it anticipating they would win this victory-

I will post anything else I can find out.

Thanks, Berta.  I should get a VBM..but I so rarely need it...its hard to put more than 200 dollars in something I would rarely need/use.  Some Vets dont "get" that they can get NVLSP representation..at no cost.  I did not get it, but hired them, and they represented me and won a remand, several years ago. 

I dont do social media Tbird but Sue Belanger or others  have probably already done that, per the email I got -----

Many got this email-as well as me with John Wells' message....Sue asked me to post it here at hadit .

Per John Wells to all:

"I know you know how to post .pff on FB.  Could you do so on MVA/BWN FB pages  This is Hot.  NEhmer was just applied to BWN vets."

Commander J. B. Wells U. S. Navy (Retired)
Attorney at Law
Chairman of the Board and Director of Litigation 
Military-Veterans Advocacy, Inc. 
PO Box 5235
Slidell, LA 70469-5235
985-641-1855https://a.gfx.ms/i_safe.gif"
985-290-6940 (direct)
For more information on Military-Veterans Advocacy go to 
www.militaryveteransadvocacy.org or like us on Facebook.