Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

DBQ Question

Rate this question

Fat

Question

I know DBQ's were taken off the VA website and many have expired.

However is it still feasible to submit a DBQ for information and rating purposes?

In lieu of the VA discontinuing the DBQ's online. They still provide a basic legal insight into the disability as stated by your physician.

Furthermore, if the physician adds rating criteria in the context of the DBQ, wouldn't that make the DBQ sufficient?

My thought process is that medical information is noteworthy and the key. The DBQ can be discontinued; however if the medical information is substantive and meets the rating criteria, then the information is good regardless of the forms status. 

The VA wont discard any substantive information related to the claimed issue and if that DBQ has all information needed to properly rate the issue then it should be good.

Any thoughts?

Alternatives to DBQ?

All comments are welcomed.............

🤠

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I agree BrokenSoldier.

The physician needs all in-service medical records related to the claimed disability.

This sets the plate for a professional opinion regarding causation between current disability and in-service incident/sickness.

Its the difference between fact based causation and mere speculation. 

🤠

They don't necessarily need all in-service records. I didn't have my doctor fill out a DBQ but I did have him write up a nexus statement. Well, I actually wrote if for him. I gave him copies of my records that were relevant to my claim and I referenced those records and the dates and listed them in the nexus letter. My doctor just took what I wrote, put it on his letterhead and signed it. That worked in my case but your mileage may vary.  

Great info Mark, but wouldn’t DBQ and nexus fall under directive 1134, recently changed (again) that now allows for this, provided adequate rationale is provided, along with access to str records is afforded by the veteran?

see pp 3,4.

Also, explain a bit better the dual role aspect. Who better to make a rationale opinion than your treating physician, mental or otherwise? I’ve bumped into this personally a few years ago when 1134 was worded differently, but I have a professional interest as well as to how it’s a conflict of interest, and I’ve been asked before to explain it, also I’m not a medical practitioner, so I kind of middle through it. 

ViewPublication.asp?pub_ID=4300